Kylie has come home from hospital.
Last Sunday I went with a friend to visit Kylie in the hospital and we gave her a priesthood blessing. By mid afternoon when I spoke with her next, her voice was strong. The doctors suggested that one more night would be necessary to monitor the progress. On Monday, things were so improved that Kylie was told she would be discharged. A short visit to the maternity wing to address some new concerns ensured that all was well, and I brought Kylie home at around 10pm.
It feels terrific to have our home full again.
During the 5 days Kylie was in hospital my exam preparation was heavily interrupted. I was extremely concerned when I awoke on Tuesday morning for my statistics exam. But I had prayed and fasted, Kylie was home, and this was my last exam for the semester. Riding the scooter to uni for an 8am start on one of the coldest winter days I can remember was not the ideal preparation for the exam. I arrived feeling quite good, knowing I only needed two marks to pass the course, and passing the exam would give me a distinction average at mimimum. And I really felt that the exam went well. I was confident when I left the exam room. I get results in a little over a week, but feel that I have nothing to fear. I am almost certain that I passed and passed well.
For the past several days I've given myself something of a break from everything. I've helped around the house, updated my paperwork and files and finances for Happy Families, and generally tidied up. It has been nice, but a little longer to holiday with the kids would be nice. Instead, it's back to it tomorrow. I have a thesis to write.
Kylie has improved enormously since coming out of hospital. The first few days were slow, but by yesterday things were back to normal. We spent the day cooking treats like Rocky Road, cupcakes and chocolate peppermint slice for friends who have been kind enough to offer support and assistance while Kylie hasn't been well. The children were all heavily involved in the cooking, and loved it. Especially Ella, who made the Rocky Road. She couldn't stop eating it!
This morning the children went with Kylie to drop off all the goodies. But they did it in secret, so no one will know that it was us. Abbie couldn't stop smiling about it! They had so much fun, and felt the goodness that comes from service. They also loved sneaking up to the doorsteps, leaving the cards and a goody, and then racing back to the car. One of our family principles is service, and the children enjoyed service this morning.
Chanel played netball again yesterday as she does each Saturday. What a star! Three goals! Chanel is a great competitor, but also knows how to include the girls who don't get the ball so much. Last night we went on a daddy-daughter date. Hot chocolate... with marshmallows. Mmmm. We talked about the challenges of being 7. Lots of kids at school are using inappropriate language and Chanel is distressed by it. She is also teased at times for going to church. It can be really difficult to help a 7 year-old in times like these. But she's a resilient girl. And by the end of the night with dad, she felt good, and equipped to deal with many of the challenges she's facing.
No comments:
Post a Comment