So many things have happened in the past two weeks (since I last wrote) that I'm concerned I'll write a novel if I'm not careful. Just trying to count our family's blessings in the past fortnight has me struggling to keep up with all that we've received.
First off, I've been blessed beyond any deserving with my uni work. In fact, never would I have imagined that things could have gone so well. As I've made clear, Kylie was unwell, in hospital, and I was trying to prepare for exams and look after the children and the house. Things during my exam break were as challenging as I've ever experienced. My preparation was minimal, yet I've received a high distinction for my 4th year multi-variate statistics course. I've never had a mark like that for any statistics, so to get it for my final year was breathtaking.
I also got a high distinction for my Applied Cognitive Psychology. Unbelievable! I managed a distinction for my clinical addiction seminar course too. So all in all, a miraculously successful first semester. Now, only 14 weeks to go and it's over. I'm taking a subject in educational psychology, and a class in health psychology. I have no real interest in either subject, but they're the best two of a really unappealing 5 subjects to choose from. I'll complete them, and my thesis over the next 3 months, and it's over.
During the school holidays I took a lot of time away from studies and work commitments and spent the time with Kylie and the children. Holidays have been challenging over the past couple of years, with "I'm bored" being the familiar mantra from the children. This time, we've visited parks, played with friends, and generally been together. And it's been terrific. The more time we've spent together, the more we've enjoyed it.
Chanel has become a real pro on her scooter, and Abbie and Ella have recently moved from learner status to provisional. They're still a little bit tentative, but they're getting it, and they love it. Seeing their faces as they play and run - the pure and absolute delight - is one of the most fulfilling things I've experienced. They are genuinely committed to being absolutely present in the situation they're in. There are no concerns about bills, dinner, car services, exams or any other interpersonal dilemma's. It's simply fun. Right here. Right now.
Being with the kids so much has been terrific for learning the importance of appreciating the moment. I don't know if I'll ever really see the world through a child's eye again. As we get older the ability to remember what it's really like for them gets harder. But I can't help but become almost entirely immersed as I watch them play, swing, get dizzy, and squeal with the thrill and delight of the moment.
It's interesting too, because I'm seeing Chanel grow so much. Now that she's nearly eight years old I'm catching tiny glimpses of that childhood eroding. There are only bits here and there, but it's starting. She is becoming increasingly independent in so many areas, and it's hard to let her. But, by golly, I can hardly piggyback her sometimes she's getting so big! And another tooth was lost a few days ago too. Pretty soon they'll all be gone, and adult teeth will be all that's left.
On the final Friday of the holidays I did something I've never done before. I was invited to MC my sister-in-law's wedding. I quite enjoyed the experience, but I won't be considering a career change. The wedding was lovely, and the couple are now back from their honeymoon to Cairns.
After a delightful holiday break, I had the blessing (thanks to Mat) to be able to fly down to Gosford with Chanel and Abbie to witness Jaxson's baptism and give him the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The girls were thrilled to be catching an aeroplane and I was ecstatic to not have to drive for 10 hours through the night to be there. Saturday morning was loads of fun. Dad invited me to help him clear out his storage area under the garage. We got stuck into it, ended up filthy, but got rid of a quarter of a tonne of rubbish. Then it was time to change and take the kids to the chapel for the baptism.
It was a simple service, but spiritual, loving and powerful. Mat spoke briefly. He loves that little boy. It was very moving. And it was clear that it meant a lot to him to see Jaxson baptised. Dad was invited to perform the baptism, which I'm cetain he really enjoyed. Then we returned to the chapel and I was invited to perform the confirmation and give Jaxson the gift of the Holy Ghost. I had been pondering what the Lord wanted Jaxson to be blessed with for some time. I had many thoughts, but nothing really stuck. But that morning on the plane I had felt strongly that he should be blessed with Faith and Courage. I let go of all the other ideas I'd had and focussed there. As I did, other things came to me through inspiration. And I felt the power of the Spirit influence me. I wonder how it happens, especially to someone like me. But we rejoiced in the experience together.
That night we ate food together. I love food. Chinese. Mmmmm. Then we went to bed, ready for a big Sunday. Mum took us to Sydney for a visit to Nan & Pop Bunt's. It's always so much fun visiting them. We enjoyed the visit, ate delicious Corned Beef and Relish sandwiches. Then we had to race back to Gosford for church. After church I had another great highlight. Mat asked me to help him understand the scriptures better. He's been reading his scriptures with reasonable commitment over the past ten years but feels as though he doesn't know anything.
Mat and I spent between two and three hours reviewing study principles and discussing the gospel. It was uplifting and edifying. We talked about the difference between reading to finish and reading to learn. I suggested that if it was better to read one verse and learn from it, than to race through an entire chapter just to say that it was read. Mat has been averaging only a couple of verses a day since then, but he is studying for a full half hour on those verses. And it's made a huge difference, for him and for me.
Monday we flew home. Kylie had spent time with her family from New Zealand following the wedding of her sister, while we'd been in Gosford. Now it was time to reunite. It was great to be together after a weekend apart. First stop - the supermarket for roast chicken, salad and buns. Next stop - Nanny Coulson's. Our flight was to the Gold Coast, so we took advantage of that and ate food with Nan. We had a great visit, as always. Then it was finally time to go home.
I've had a couple of funny experiences this week. Firstly, I was invited to attend an executive meeting for a new organisation for young business people. I decided that I didn't want to be involved any further though, and when I told the fellow in charge he said he was glad because he didn't feel it would be a good fit. I didn't know what to think. Here I was, dumping him, and he turned around and said he wanted to dump me first! I was actually a bit hurt, and began to wonder why he would say that about me. But I got over it pretty quickly. It obviously wasn't something I should be involved in at the moment, or perhaps at all.
I also received feedback on the first draft of my thesis. Mostly good, but there is still a lot of work to do on it. It is an incredibly big project.
Work is going really well, and getting better. I am so grateful for the blessing of this job, and the way it was timed to take over from my TAFE job so perfectly. And Kylie has about 5 weeks to go until we have our baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment