The past couple of weeks have been quite intense and so I have struggled to find time to write. School is getting intense with only 4 weeks to go. It’s hard to believe that I will have completed a Psychology degree by mid-November. The workload is really intense, but I’m managing well and trying to focus on here and now. If I focus on November I’ll want to put my feet up, and now is not the time for that!
Chanel has given us lots to do recently, and lots to laugh at. For some reason she has started calling me Sire. When I call out to her, she says, “Yes Sire”, and when she wants something she’ll come to me and say, “Excuse me Sire”. It’s really funny. Yesterday Chanel was doing something to the DVD player that I had never seen. I asked her how to do it and she showed me. Shortly before that she had been demonstrating how to do something clever on the computer for me. When I commented to Kylie that Chanel grasped technology so well I heard a little voice behind me say, smilingly, “And I’m only a child and you’re a full-time university student”. I didn’t mention to her that university courses don’t equip people to use DVD remotes!
Chanel is back at swimming now, and loves it. She swims from 3.30 – 4.15 four days each week. Soon it will be five days. Her form in the pool is exceptional, with a gorgeous butterfly and backstroke. Swimming seems to energise her and she revels in any opportunity to get into the pool. With an increase in energy output there has been a corresponding increase in caloric input. Chanel eats as much for dinner as I do. It’s amazing. I should also add that Chanel loves Annie. What a helper. Sometimes her help is a little overzealous and we remind her that just because Annie squeaked doesn’t mean we need to pick her out of the cot. But Chanel is wonderfully helpful and extremely enthusiastic. In fact, a few nights ago Annie awoke at 4am. Chanel came stumbling, bleary-eyed, into the bedroom and said to Kylie, “It’s okay mum. I’ll look after her and you go back to sleep.”
Abbie has a new t-shirt. It says, “Everybody’s favourite.” Very cute, and she wears it well. Her other new one says, “I know I’m cute, I can’t help it.” Most of the time she’s right. Adorable Abbie has become our number one sleeper. She used to put up something of a struggle on occasion but recently we put her to bed and within 20 seconds Abbie is out. It’s wonderful, because Ella takes a lot longer. Hard work there. (I might add that Ella’s new t-shirt says “I love Drama.”)
Ella has given us lots to enjoy in recent weeks. Her talking has dramatically improved, although there is still a long way to go. At dinner time Ella loves to set the table for us. It’s very funny though, because when her dinner is served Ella will go to the cutlery draw and retrieve 3 or 4 spoons and forks. She then uses all of them to eat her meal. But it works, and she’s happy to eat so… no complaints from the dishwasher.
As for Annie: wow. What can I say? She sleeps beautifully, typically around 7 hours a night at this point. And what a cutie. In the last few days we’ve enjoyed a smile from her which is tremendously exciting. It’s hard to believe that she’s a month old today! We carry Annie in a sling when we are out. It goes around Kylie’s neck and shoulders and Annie lays in front of Kylie’s belly in the sling. It is amazing how many people come over and ask to peek inside! Yesterday I wore the sling and had strangers constantly coming up to me to peer in at our baby. She’s a heart stealer too! So cute. Endless cries of “oh she’s beautiful” from everyone who sees her. We love our little Annie Grace.
Kylie is going well too, somehow keeping the house running while I study and stress and be busy. I’m so grateful for her. Hopefully there will be a wonderful reward for her at the end of all of this. This coming Saturday (6th) is Kylie’s birthday, but unfortunately I’ll be in a conference all day for school.
I had a funny incident occur last week. My jaw was sore and began to swell under my ear. It enlarged quite significantly. Eating became difficult as did talking, and turning my head (such as when I was driving) became very painful. Kylie finally convinced me to go to the doctor and I was told that I had a blocked salivary gland! Antibiotics sorted that out relatively quickly.
While I was feeling unwell I struggled to study. I did what I could, but to keep myself busy I did something that I really haven’t done for a number of years. I weeded the back garden. It has been quite overgrown and was in significant need of a tidy up. I can see why people claim gardening is therapeutic. I really enjoyed it. There are still a lot of weeds to pull, but they can wait until November!
No comments:
Post a Comment