I’ll begin with the most significant.
After weeks of nail-biting suspense and painful waiting my university results were released on Wednesday. Having been unconditionally accepted into a Masters Degree here in QLD and conditionally accepted to a PhD in Wollongong, there was a lot riding on the result. To get the PhD and associated scholarship I had to receive a first class honours in my final year of the degree. To get a first class result required a score of 80 or greater.
Part of me wanted to get the first class result to do the PhD, but the other part didn’t want to. A move to Wollongong entails significant changes in our lives, many that I wasn’t sure I was comfortable making. To get a low score would mean no decision was necessary and we could just stay here.
Well, the result arrived. I was nervous beyond anything I recall as I received the outcome… 80.71! I got there by less than three-quarters of one percent! In hindsight, I guess that means I must have worked a little too hard as I only needed 80. That grade was too close to the edge for my liking. The amazing thing is that no one ever asks what grade I got. So whether it’s 80.71 or 99.71, the result is a first class honours and that’s all that matters. I feel remarkably blessed as I consider what it takes to get that result. To have done so with Kylie having our fourth baby and while working etc, it feels good.
With the result came a very important decision. Do we leave everything and move our family to start again in Wollongong? We’ve never been there, know very little about it, and love lots of things about where we are. We don’t really know what is involved in studying for a PhD. We have no social support there.
Or do we stay put, and do a Masters degree that will allow us to remain relatively comfortable and progress into a different area, more related to counseling?
Wednesday evening Kylie and I talked with the children. We asked them to help us determine the advantages and disadvantages associated with moving. We were surprised by their enthusiasm. As we talked and listed our ideas it became increasingly clear that one option was far superior to the other.
We’re moving. Mum reminded me of a quote from Helen Keller, “Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing.” We have been very happy and very comfortable for some time. There is always a lot happening in our lives, but real growth comes from being stretched. It’s time for a new adventure.
By the end of the first two weeks in January we expect to be settling into a new home in Wollongong. At this stage we do not know where. We’ll make some decisions in the next couple of weeks.
The following day we told Chanel’s school teacher, Jane Leishman. As Kylie told her, she became visibly saddened. She loves Chanel and said many wonderful things about our big girl. We have since received kind words about how special our children are from other teachers and parents who have been involved with our family over the past years. There is very little that makes a dad feel happier than to hear other people express heartfelt gratitude for the influence of his children. I feel so blessed to have such precious children.
Now that the decision has been made a change has come over Kylie and I. Where there was some concern and uncertainty about the future, we are now optimistic and even starting to look forward to our new direction. We will miss our family and friends in Queensland terrible. We don’t know how long we will be gone. But we are looking forward to an exciting future. More details will filter through this blog over the coming weeks as we find somewhere new to live and so on.
We had some other experiences this week that were like pages in my favourite books; dog-eared because I want to go back and savour them again and again.
On Wednesday Chanel swam at her school swimming carnival. She loves the pool and is enjoying her squad swimming. But when she started winning some races it was really exciting. I was timekeeper for one of the lanes for the day. I don’t remember the kids at school carnivals making so much noise when I went to school. Boy, did those kids scream and cheer! It was a big day.
Chanel swam really well. First, she won her 25m butterfly race in 29 seconds. Then she won her backstroke race in 35 seconds. She got a first in her 25m freestyle (26 seconds) and second in her breast-stroke race too. In the 50m free Chanel came third. She was happy, and I felt lucky to have been able to be there.
I left the carnival to go to Abbie’s kindergarten. They had their special Christmas Concert with all of the children performing for mums and dads for half an hour. It was such a treat to watch Abbie having great fun with all of her friends. She is a treasure.
So Wednesday was one of the best days I’ve had. Uni results, scholarships, and a day watching Chanel and Abbie having a great day with their friends, using their talents and skills, and enjoying the gifts and blessings that I have.
The other highlight of the week was yesterday (Saturday). We had arranged for a family Christmas party at our home, with Kylie’s sisters and their families, and Kylie’s parents coming over for an afternoon. Kylie and I spent most of Friday and Saturday morning preparing. Food and decorations were arranged. We worked hard, particularly Kylie. She has such a remarkable ability to organise, plan, and tastefully run spectacular events.
The food was breathtaking. Wonderful cheese and fruit platters for nibbles (the cherries were to die for, and the Camembert was top-shelf), followed by a main meal of salads and meats that were mouth-wateringly divine. Lastly, Kylie prepared a jaffa cheesecake. Choc-orange cheesecake with delectable chocolate dripped across the plate. It was better than a restaurant!
Most importantly, the company was special. Everyone had a terrific time. The family has become a remarkably cohesive group of people. Everyone was kind. We laughed and enjoyed one another. The children played. It was a little bit of heaven.
The other highlight of the week was yesterday (Saturday). We had arranged for a family Christmas party at our home, with Kylie’s sisters and their families, and Kylie’s parents coming over for an afternoon. Kylie and I spent most of Friday and Saturday morning preparing. Food and decorations were arranged. We worked hard, particularly Kylie. She has such a remarkable ability to organise, plan, and tastefully run spectacular events.
The food was breathtaking. Wonderful cheese and fruit platters for nibbles (the cherries were to die for, and the Camembert was top-shelf), followed by a main meal of salads and meats that were mouth-wateringly divine. Lastly, Kylie prepared a jaffa cheesecake. Choc-orange cheesecake with delectable chocolate dripped across the plate. It was better than a restaurant!
Most importantly, the company was special. Everyone had a terrific time. The family has become a remarkably cohesive group of people. Everyone was kind. We laughed and enjoyed one another. The children played. It was a little bit of heaven.
This is a photo of the family. Back row – Me, Kylie, Estelle and Adele (Kylie’s sisters), Ystyn and Madson (Adele’s husband and son).Front row – Abbie (in front), Lisa (Kylie’s half sister), Les, Ella, Natasha, West (Adele’s other son), Payton (Lisa’s daughter) and Chanel.
It has been a remarkable week. We continually see blessings from Above in our lives, and this week has been a great example of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment