Pages

Monday, 4 February 2008

Starting School

So many blessings, so much to delight in.

Kylie is not as in love with our new surroundings as me, but that’s understandable. I’m ready to buy a house here! Obviously we can’t do that right now, but Wollongong is a terrific place. But Kylie is warming to things here. We like it.

This week Annie began rolling over, and back! And after showing absolutely no interest in solid food two weeks ago, began attacking a melon that Kylie was holding yesterday. She is growing too fast. But the best thing about Annie is still that unending infectious smile.

Most noteworthy events this week were the three eldest girls commencing school. Abbie began “big school” for the first time. She approached the schoolyard optimistically. As children were called in to class her mood changed to solemn. Then came some tears. I wanted to get a photo so I asked Abbie to look at the camera. Instantly she smiled! The conditioned response took over and the tears were forgotten. I got a nice picture of her. She went to class happily and willingly and hasn’t looked back. There are still a few small complaints about mummy attending school for the whole day, but Abbie is settling in as well as we could have hoped.

Chanel went into Grade 3 at Figtree Public School. Confident and happy. At the end of her first day at school Chanel reported eight friends! Wow! Chanel is settling in well. I should also mention that our neighbours have four daughters. Chanel and Mary (one of the neighbour’s girls) held a “concert” in our backyard this week. Invitations were given to all family members. The backyard was reorganized with seating for all. Seat allocations were provided, refreshments offered, and entertainment delivered. The girls had a great time and we got to know the Milross family a little better. Just before the concert I spotted a blue-tongue lizard. I was too scared to pick it up, although I never admitted that to anyone. Despite my reluctance, Chanel gave chase and within seconds she had the lizard in her grasp. No fear!


Ella also started at a community kindergarten. Kylie, who has a background in early childhood education, said that the kindergarten is exceptional. It is well staffed, very supportive, and should facilitate Ella’s learning and development optimally. We’re feeling so blessed not only that we got Ella in two days each week, but that we even found it! Our little Ella is very frustrated at the moment, trying to communicate with us and feeling like too many things have happened too fast. For all her challenges, Ella is remarkably endearing. We think the world of that little girl.


It was a privilege to bless my girls before they went to school. I’m confident that the Lord watches my children.

I’m really excited for Kylie at the moment as well. Kylie has begun to read several of the very best books that I have on my bookshelf. She’s really enjoying them! That makes me really excited as we experience shared insights. The books are really changing Kylie too. It’s exciting to see and participate.

I love my studies. It is a really strange situation. I have no curriculum to follow, and nobody prodding me, giving me deadlines, or showing me where to go or what to do. Such is the nature of post-graduate research. So I go to my office at the university each day and simply do whatever I think I should. Entire autonomy.

My studies are centering on what it takes to live “the good life”, and particularly how character strengths and virtues help us obtain a feeling of well-being and satisfaction in our lives. Psychologists are increasingly discovering empirically what has been known for centuries; that meaning and happiness in life are founded upon living a life of character and goodness. Jefferson, in 1819, stated “Happiness is the aim of life, but virtue is the foundation of happiness.”

As I considered his statement I was reminded of a scripture that tells us that we “are that [we] may have joy.” Another prophet warned that “wickedness never was happiness.” Ironic that thousands of years after prophets have told us how to be happy, psychologists are just getting the message. In living virtuously, developing character strengths, we find satisfaction in our own lives. But this satisfaction is not so much a result or “effect” of living such a life. Instead it is entwined in virtue in the same way that in an ocean sunrise we find beauty. One doesn’t cause the other, rather they are implicit within each other, inseparably connected.

I love my life! And I love my studies!

Finally, a personal note. Life is wonderful. We have been so blessed. However, like everyone, there have been moments this week where I have been below my best. This afternoon I attended a funeral service for a man that I believe was a prophet of God. The President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints – Gordon Bitner Hinckley – passed away last week aged 97. As I attended the service (via satellite) I was reminded of the goodness, even the greatness, of what I can be. He was a great man; in service, humility, kindness, wisdom, and so many other virtues. Leaving the service I was inspired to be better in every way. Especially as a father and husband. So from today I will work harder to stand a little taller in the most important roles I will ever have. In so doing, perhaps I might be seen as one who follows in the footsteps of great men.

No comments: