Pages

Sunday, 1 June 2008

A Wonderful LIfe

In four weeks the year will be half through. I cannot comprehend how quickly the time goes. We have been in Wollongong for nearly 6 months!

Some fabulous news in regards to my studies this past week. I have been in contact with a Professor at Yale (in the USA). It’s unquestionably one of the most respected universities in the world. Her name is Amy Wrzesniewski. Amy has reviewed the basis for my research proposal for my Ph.D., and thinks it’s really exciting. In the past few emails I’ve received she has been very enthusiastic, and quite helpful too. I have had discussions with several researchers throughout the world, and only since I came up with this idea and contacted Amy have I had this kind of response. It’s very satisfying, and comforting, to know that one of the world leaders in the field likes my idea. Here’s hoping it keeps going the way it has so far.

Some more good news too, with regards to my studies. I have been invited to lecture in the next semester. I’ll be lecturing on communication in intimate relationships to second year psyc. students (two lectures). I’ll be lecturing on adolescent and adult psychological development to third year students (two lectures) and I’ll be lecturing to fourth year health psychology students (one lecture) on positive psychology. So I’m really excited about that opportunity. It’ll sure boost the credibility on my CV!

My week began with lots of research and exciting progress on my studies. Unfortunately, by Friday I had been given a whole lot of marking to do. I tutor about 120 of 300 students in PSYC101. Between three tutors, we have 300 activity books to mark, each with 8 assignments. That’s 2400 activities to mark. So I spent all day marking, both Friday, and Saturday. It’s the first time I’ve been required to work on a Saturday this year, so I can’t complain too much. But it sure is frustrating having to do so much work. I just want to scream at the students – CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION!!! Doing the marking has given me a lot of insight into how I can be a better teacher too though. I have given them all the answers they need, but a large percentage have not managed to get the right answers down on paper. Next time I tutor I’ll try to be more helpful. There’s no point teaching if they don’t learn it properly, even if the feedback on my teaching is excellent.

I actually caught a few student cheating too. They’ve provided identical answers, having simply done a copy and paste job. That will be an automatic fail for them. Serves them right too. We warned them about three or four times through the semester, and told them we’d catch them.

Kylie enjoyed a quieter week than normal. There was a trip to the Buddhist Temple, just down the road. Some of the girls from church have lived here for years and always wanted to see it, but never been there. So Kylie rounded everyone up, and in the end four of them went down to see things. They had fun, and Kylie was glad she’d seen it.
She also said she really preferred the LDS Temples. Kylie went with Katrina, Kim, and Debs. Debs is a great friend, and we’re really enjoying getting to know other wonderful people in Wollongong.

Chanel and Abbie had their athletics carnival at school on Wednesday. They enjoyed it, but not to the same extent as they enjoyed their cross-country and swimming carnivals. Unfortunately, my poor children have the same athletic gene that I possess… zero! I remember losing every athletic event I ever attempted. So did Abbie and Chanel. I take some comfort in knowing that Kylie also did poorly. In fact, Kylie says she would begin the 100m race and quit halfway along, crying because she was so far behind. So I guess the genetic influence left them with no chance. Oh well, can’t win them all. They do well in their other forms of sport.

Chanel is growing up a little too fast for Kylie and I. She’s only eight, but boy, does she push limits. She’s getting increasingly frustrated with her little sisters. The maturity gap is really beginning to show. We gave her a glimpse of grown-up life last night. It was a Saturday and a movie was on that she really, really, wanted to watch; Spy Kids. It was on at 7.30 and went until 9.30. Too late for Chanel, but we let her watch it anyway. She thought she was the bee’s knees. It was a great treat and we all had fun laughing together.

Abbie is still driving us crazy with her ENDLESS talking… she never stops, ever! And when she’s not talking, she’s spelling, or asking us how to spell, or reading out loud. It starts every morning when she gets out of bed. We call her Abbie Alarm Clock. Abbie is the first one up every morning, at around 6.30am. She starts reading and writing and talking… and doesn’t stop until 7pm when her head hits the pillow at night.

As for Ella, more laughs again this week. This little girl has personality and spunk to burn. She has both by the truckload. When I have to leave Ella wants to be with me. She runs outside at the first sign that I have to go and climbs onto the back of my motorbike, sitting there expectantly. I have never, nor will I ever, take her on the back of the bike. But she gets down there anyway. When I lift her off, she tears up the driveway and down to the first cul-de-sac around the corner where she waves and calls out her farewells to me. Then I watch in my mirror as she scampers back up the hill and into our driveway.

A couple of nights ago Kylie had put the girls to bed while I was at a meeting for church. Kylie was downstairs reading by the fire, when Ella tiptoed into the room. In her all too funny speech, Ella said, “Mum, I sit with you.” Kylie smiled and patted the chair beside her. Ella then continued, “Shell (Chanel) thinks I going to get in twubble, but I not am I.” She was so cute Kylie had to cuddle her.

Ella also surprised Kylie at lunch one day this week. After wolfing down her ham, cheese and tomato sandwich she asked for another one. Kylie thought that was a bit optimistic on Ella’s part, but indulged her anyway. Ella gulped the second sandwich down and then inquired, “Mummy, I have ‘nuvva one.” She polished off THREE ham, cheese and tomato sandwiches. Wow! But we cannot get Ella to sit still when we say a prayer, or be quiet for that matter. Her speech is improving but still a long way behind for her age. She is beginning to do well in group time at kindy which is a sign of progress. And we love her to bits.

Annie has begun crawling! She has just made it to 9 months, and is pulling herself along the floor with gusto. Not a lot of leg movement happening yet, but the arms are going great, and we have progress. Very exciting. We have never had such a contented, smiling angel as this one. We love her so much, and she gets endless positive attention. Everyone wants to cuddle and hold her. Still not keen on sleeping through the nights though.

Today was Sunday. What a great day. Sitting through sacrament meeting was somewhat challenging with the children, but it felt great to be there. Really, really great. We heard some wonderful things, and felt terrific things too. It was good to be there. After church we were invited to someone’s home for a large lunch gathering. I ate too much (there’s something new… not) and at 8pm I still can’t fit in any dinner. Oops. After spending some time there we rushed home, arriving moments before mum and dad who had travelled the two and a half hours down from Gosford to be with us for the afternoon. Kylie cooked her best stew with dumplings (which I still can’t eat, but I’ll enjoy the leftovers for lunch tomorrow), and mum and dad played with the kids. It was a really nice time. We don’t see my parents relaxed too often, but at our house there were no deadlines, no kids screaming and making a mess, no meals to cook or calls to make… in fact, there was nothing to do but spend time together. And that’s what we did. Wonderful.

No comments: