In two days from the time I write this it will be the first Tuesday of November. That will be Melbourne Cup day. It was therefore exactly one year ago on Tuesday that I flew to Sydney and drove to Wollongong for an entry interview to see whether I would like to study here. I remember feeling excited, as though I was almost certain this would be where we would end up. And precisely two months later to the day, on January 4, we were moving into our home here.
This time last year I was preparing to sit my final exams as an undergraduate. We were in QLD enjoying the splendour of the jacaranda trees blooming, feeling the heat of Spring. I was just about to sell my moped and buy my motorbike. It seems like yesterday, and yet it seems like it was years ago. Life has changed so much – I have changed so much – in just one short year. The one constant is the steady flow of (generally undeserved) blessings that enter our lives week after week.
The week started with family home evening at Bishop’s place, with 6 missionaries and about 10 of the young adults from church. What a fun night! We had a ball and were sad to have to leave when Annie couldn’t take it anymore. We learnt a new game. We sit in a circle and sing a German sounding song made up of nonsense words while passing cups around the circle. Anyone who passes the cup incorrectly or drops a cup is eliminated. The kids have come home and haven’t stopped playing the game and singing the song all week, though the words make no sense at all. It’s a game of concentration and while I didn’t personally play, was immensely fun to watch.
This week Kylie finally got to spend some time riding her new bike! Annie has gone on the back too, and loved every second of it. In fact it has been so much fun Kylie has determined to ride twice a week now. She rides about 12 kilometres from North Wollongong to Towradgi and back. Annie hangs on in the kiddy carrier behind – silent, but smiling. Kylie also finally ordered and received her stamps. For her birthday Kylie wanted a stack of stamps for her crafts and card making. The package arrived and Kylie is in heaven. It has been a long time since I have seen Kylie so energised and enthusiastic about things. (Perhaps I should spend money on her more often!)
This week was also Kylie’s first week of having Thursday night entirely to herself. I may have mentioned this in my last entry, but in case I didn’t, I suggested to Kylie last week that she take one night a week for herself. Kylie knows she can take time out when she wants to, but never does. So I have scheduled Thursday evenings as her night out. That may be another reason she’s so excited lately. This Thursday just gone Kylie rode bikes and played racquetball with a friend. Kylie is starting to feel like her fitness levels need a boost.
The phone has rung – Kylie is taking over the writing for me for a few minutes…
And here I was thinking he was just feeling guilty about all the things he is now getting into, with his riding and of love of Surfing. I am constantly amazed at my husband’s ability to read my needs and meet them, and he is right I am feeling more energised and ready to get out and active a lot more…
Annie has now had her third swimming lesson and can’t get enough of a good dunk. She spends the whole time she is out of the water screaming at me to put her under and when she is in the water she is fighting to get loose, so she can go under the water!!!!! I didn’t think it was possible to have a child even more strong willed than Ella, but Annie is living proof you can…
Ella had a treat this week too. In addition to her two days at kindy, her swimming lesson and her speech session, all of which are favourites for her, Ella was invited to a Hi-5 concert at the entertainment centre. She had a terrific time in the front row! Besides that, Ella has been her usual gorgeously mischievous self. Abbie continues to blow me away with her reading. Her articulation and expression is beyond her years. It is so enjoyable to listen to her read.
Chanel is preparing for her end of year dance performance which I am looking forward to seeing on stage in a few weeks. We have seen some huge improvements in her dance moves. I actually think she has great potential, though she will probably end dancing at the end of term and increase her time in the pool now that summer is nearly here.
We have made some progress with our rental situation. Our landlord met with us last week to discuss the decision he had made to increase the rent by $50. He actually wanted to sell the house. We explained that we would love to stay in the house for as long as we could, but that we would do whatever needed to be done to help in the sale of the house, should he decide to go that way. We also indicated that we’d happily sign another lease for 12 months if we can come to an agreement about the rent increase. We suggested that $50 per week was a bit more than we could comfortably manage (by about $45!!!) We just got a call yesterday and it seems that we will possibly be able to continue our stay here. The sale is unlikely to go ahead. This week we’ll aim to re-negotiate a weekly rental price. Moving is an unattractive option to us, so hopefully we can work something out.
It’s Justin back again. I’m off the phone.
It’s been a really intense week for me. I’ve marked close to 150 000 words! That includes 60 lab reports of 1500 words each, and 20 reports of 4000 words. I should be finished the last of them in the morning. I’ll get up early. That’s really been my entire week from Monday to Friday.
Yesterday (Sat) I went for an early morning bike ride. I joined up with a few guys from the local cycling club. We did a 60 km trip around Lake Illawarra. It took about 2 hours, and felt fantastic. I love being on the bike. My legs were a little fatigued by the end of it and it didn’t feel so great climbing up our hill to get back home. Wow – hard work.
I took the kids for a bike ride during the afternoon. The training wheels went back on for Ella. She’s very confident with them, but helpless without them. Chanel now has a previously unridden bike she received from her Aunties. Leah and Rachel received bikes a couple of years ago that they never rode. Chanel loves riding her bike with gears and has mastered it almost instantly. Abbie is moved onto Chanel’s bike. No training wheels. And no balance! I spent an hour running on my wobbly legs trying to help her, but we made little progress. I’m hopeful that a few more sessions will be all it takes, but am concerned my hope will be in vain. Abbie is simply not getting it at this point. Next weekend… next weekend. I’m sure if I keep telling myself it will eventually happen.
Today was a great day at church. A wonderful sacrament meeting. Terrific testimonies. I taught the young men about keeping their bodies free from drugs, and how our scriptures and modern prophets have taught these things for 170 years – much longer than science has been saying it. Then I went home teaching, visiting several families from the congregation to see how they’re going. It was a rewarding afternoon. I genuinely felt as though my relationships with several of the families I visited with were deeply enriched. In particular, Gino and Cherie. Gino received a priesthood blessing from me some weeks ago. He is not a member of the church but his wife is. Gino told me how much it meant to him today. It took him a couple of days to get back on his feet following the blessing, but he has been healthy since and credits the blessing. It felt good to be of service. Gino and I have started riding together regularly too, and a good friendship is growing because of the blessing of home teaching.
Kylie and I had the opportunity to spend almost an hour talking yesterday. The children were playing in the yard with the neighbours and everything was quiet. It doesn’t happen often but it was wonderful. We were talking about our future – very much unknown at this point – and our present. We reflected on the immense blessings we enjoy, and particularly how wonderful it is in Wollongong. We miss Brisbane and our good friends there more than words can say. But we have been welcomed here so warmly. We have developed remarkable relationships at church and elsewhere in a short time, and those relationships are treasured. They’re also a LOT of fun. We’re grateful for so many beautiful people who bless and touch our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment