Pages

Monday, 9 February 2009

Whoa!

Cataclysmic! Stunning! Miraculous! Breathtaking! Arduous!

I am unsure as to whether I really have the vocabulary to describe, in brief, the phenomenal week we have just lived through. Things began ordinarily enough with the children at school on Monday and me collecting data for my project. It was a busy day but nothing too exceptional. Until. . .

I was at the swimming pool collecting data from parents for my PhD when Kylie came in. The children were in the car in the car park waiting for us. Kylie informed me that Ella had hurt her arm while Chanel was doing her bike training at the velodrome. Ella had been swinging on some bars with Abbie when she fell. She had whimpered a little and then gone to sit in the car. After 10 minutes someone told Kylie Ella was still crying. This was unusual so Kylie tended to her straight away. Her arm didn’t look bad, but it didn’t look quite right either. Kylie came to me and hurried me along a little. We left the pool immediately and headed for the hospital, dropping Chanel and Abbie off at a friend’s home on the way. Ella was quiet - chatting occasionally, crying occasionally – but generally in good spirits. The tears began again at the hospital. We were seen to immediately – unusual for the public hospital system – and x-rays revealed a broken ulna. The elbow was twisted too unfortunately with a bent radius just to complicate things even more.
Tuesday morning Kylie and Ella returned to the hospital for Ella’s operation. At the same time I received a phone call from mum asking if I’d heard from dad. He was flying, in a light plane, from Newcastle to Grafton for some work that morning. I instantly froze as mum told me dad’s plane had crashed. The pilot had misjudged the runway and, being too low, had crashed into an embankment situated just before the airstrip. The plane had been written off, but somehow – miraculously – dad and the pilot had walked away uninjured. Fence posts had destroyed the underside of the cabin, the wings were torn from the cabin, and the propellers destroyed. Clearly there is still work for my dad to do on this planet!

Ella’s operation went smoothly and she emerged from theatre in reasonable condition. Her emergence from anaesthesia was good, and she immediately began pleading for food and drink. The doctors indicated some concern about the likelihood of a perfect outcome due to the radius being badly bent but not broken. We are praying that our little girl will have good results at the next x-ray.

As Ella returned from the operating table I went to see my specialist for a procedure akin to a ‘mini’ colonoscopy. I can’t remember what it was called, but I do remember that it was quite uncomfortable! I received a clear bill of health though which was pleasing – and he told me I can ride my bike as much as I want with little risk of any unpleasant reoccurrences of. . . well – you know. So Tuesday was a BIG day! And I finished it off with another couple of hours of data collection. Phew.

While we ate dinner Tuesday evening I got a call from the Thayers, some of our favourite people from Brisbane. Shaun has been accepted into medical school in Canberra, so was driving with his wife and three children to their new home. I had forgotten to tell Kylie that one of my previous conversations with Shaun ended with me promising they could stay here a day or two on their way to Canberra. After dinner Tuesday night I raced off to give a blessing to someone in need, but not before telling Kylie we had 90 minutes to prepare for the Thayers’ arrival. Oops! I am blessed with a forgiving wife.

Wednesday morning began with the Coulson family on the front page of the local paper. We were featured in an article where I was promoting my study, trying to get participants to take my survey online. Ella was becoming comfortable with her arm in plaster and enjoyed running, jumping, and falling over as much with the cast as without it. We do not seem to be able to slow that little girl down at all! Add to that her increased appetite. . . when asked how hungry she was, Ella replied “100 hungry”. I’m guessing she really needed more food!
I continued with my data collection, Kylie entertained the Thayers, and the children went to school. The Thayers stayed Wednesday night too and the children loved the extended opportunity to renew acquaintances. Roast lamb and chicken for dinner followed by the most wonderful Bavarian and ice-cream made for a very enjoyable night – and the company was terrific too.

Thursday I took the morning off. I visited with a new friend from the Illawarra Riders Club and we built a new bicycle for me. In a matter of hours we had added to the frame a carbon fork, stem, handlebars, bottom bracket, compact crank, pedals, seat post, seat, front and rear derailleur, 8 speed cassette, levers, cables, brakes, brake cables, wheels, tubes and tyres. The entire bike built from top to bottom. It all came from second hand parts and he gave it to me at a great price! As we finished work I looked at the time. I had 45 minutes to travel 22 kms against a headwind in 35 degree heat to get to uni for an appointment. I rode very hard and did not look good when I got there. But I was there in time to swallow lunch, wash, change shirts, get equipment, and arrive for the appointment with 2 minutes remaining. Wow!

Thursday night was quiet. I spent the evening putting the data I had collected into a spreadsheet, and we tried to sleep in the oppressive heat.

I honestly cannot remember what happened on Friday. I think it was a normal-ish day. I watched Annie in the morning while Kylie went to a meeting. Then I raced back to uni and spent the afternoon working hard. That evening we went to the velodrome where Annie tried to run onto the track while a race was on! We’re going to sit outside the arena from now on rather than in the middle.

Saturday morning I finally got to take my bike for a real ride. Mt Keira was my objective. The gear ratio makes for some tough hill climbs as the gears are fairly heavy. I did the climb twice. Once alone, and the second time with about 15 men from church who were having a ride for an activity. The first climb was awesome. I went really hard at it and was very pleased with what I’d done. The second climb was very slow. Almost painfully slow in fact. It takes me about 25 minutes to ascend. It took the men I rode with a little over an hour. But we got there. Each of them felt they had accomplished a real feat and it was terrific to be there with them. The barbequed eggs and bacon were good too. The remainder of the day Kylie and I worked at conserving energy. The heat was oppressive and so we stayed inside, attempting to occupy the children quietly and calmly. It was largely ineffective. We went to the chapel to enjoy the cool of the air-con with some friends. But the kids were even worse there. I lost my ‘cool’ and the afternoon ended abruptly. I do NOT like hot weather. At all. Not one bit.

Sunday (today) we travelled for conference. Campbelltown was over 40 degrees, but we felt grateful for air-conditioning and a modern building. The conference was positive and uplifting in parts, but not what I had been hoping for. Several others shared similar thoughts. Oh well, every day can’t be perfect at church.

So an enormous and draining week is over. We are finally expecting some cooler temperatures from tomorrow which will be welcome. Annie is intrigued by powerpoints and light switches. She is becoming louder and more talkative, even pronouncing random words as she copies her sisters. She is cutting more teeth too. And she will no longer allow anyone to feed her. She feeds herself – very messily.

Ella is rambunctious, full of energy, and not letting a broken arm get in her way. She seems to be a little more compassionate since her accident too.

Abbie has been having difficulty adjusting to the new school year. Combined with the heat, I think she’s very tired and that is affecting how she relates to her family. We’re confident she’ll calm down in the coming days. Tonight at dinner as we spoke about what we were grateful for Kylie suggested she was grateful for cold water. Because of Annie’s noise combined with the fan blowing, Abbie thought Kylie said she was grateful for “Bob the Builder”. It was a cute moment.

Chanel is hooked on bicycles, swimming, and reading. She’s also doing really well with church and enjoys memorising scriptures. And her grade 4 year has taken off in a big way.

Kylie is hooked on bicycles but hates the heat. She is absorbed in some wonderful friendships and loves her stamping craft activities.

Our lives are blessed. We have received blessings, even miracles, this week and are grateful for them.

No comments: