The week began with a thrilling exclamation from Ella early Monday morning. The girls were at school, I was at uni, Ella and Kylie were at the hospital for Ella’s cast to be removed from her arm. Kylie told me our little five year-old was beautiful as she sat in the surgery and had the cast cut away from her arm. As they left the hospital Ella, full of enthusiasm and emotion, yelled to Kylie “I’m just so excited I can’t contain it.” So after four weeks Ella has the use of her arm again. She was very reluctant to use it much for a couple of days, having been used to it being in a sling. Ella also has a new phrase which she uses regularly, often combined with a questioning tone and raised eyebrows. When we tell her something Ella responds “in real life?” Even more funny, when she tells us anything she adds the suffix “in real life” as if to confirm and add credibility to whatever she has shared. We love our little Ella and are so pleased she is getting better again – in real life.
On Monday Abbie was placed into a new class. Numbers at the school have increased and a shuffle was required. Several parents are up in arms over the changes. I’ll reserve my judgement until I see how Abbie progresses with her new teacher. While the class is important, what matters most to me is the attention the child receives, and the guidance from the teacher. Our Abbie May is thriving at school and doing beautifully at home. We are so pleased with her.
Monday night Chanel went to bike training. Again we saw terrific improvement in her effort and skills. Chanel has really taken to the fixed wheel bike and has no concerns over the lack of brakes. Following bike training the missionaries visited our home with a friend of mine from uni. He’s been reading his Bible for a decade and has become annoyed with all of the churches he’s visited because of their lack of fidelity to Jesus’ teachings. He had begun to think he was the only person on earth who had any idea of the truth. When he met with the missionaries and I, he was thrilled. Finally a church that teaches doctrines based on bible truth. He was amazed at the Book of Mormon. After reading only a portion he told me he knows that no man could have written that book. Amazing. We spoke well into the night and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Tuesday Kylie went riding on the tandem bike with the blind. A tough workout – and an elevating experience for her soul. Annie took her newest habit of headbutting a little too far. She headbutted someone so hard that she bit into her lip quite badly, drawing blood and leaving a nasty cut. Annie also enjoyed her swimming class. Owing to her age Annie does not take instruction well. When the teacher says float, Annie goes underwater! But her swimming class is one of her favourite hours of the week.
Wednesday was a busy day for me. I had a long bike ride in the morning (around 80 kms) followed by a full day at uni. Wednesday night I ran a Happy Families workshop to around 16 parents. The session seemed to go well with lots of positive feedback. I was grateful for the opportunity because of all the opportunities it gave me to make things better next time. I was generally dissatisfied with my presentation. I’m running the same class again in three weeks, so I’m certain it will be better then.
Thursday Kylie ran a church service activity. An elderly lady in our congregation recently lost her husband. Kylie arranged for half a dozen women to show up and help clean and organise her home. She said it was a unifying and useful activity. My day was a little more stressful. I discovered that I cannot do the statistical analysis I had planned to use with my data. This has meant several days lost looking for new and improved statistical options. I think I may have found one but it will take a while longer to be certain.
Friday was exciting. Kylie made cards with her stamps. I rode to Sydney with a friend. The ride was 93kms and took about 3hrs 30 mins. My friend was struggling quite a bit by the end. Our average was lower than I would have liked, at 26.5km/h. But the main thing was that we rode well, and got there safely. That afternoon we played in the pool at the apartment we stayed in. The kids were exuberant in their play and squealed with delight for over an hour before we finally called it a night.
Saturday was the big day of the week. We enjoyed the pool again in the morning before driving to Auburn for Nan Bunt’s 80th Birthday Party. Extended family and friends were all there to celebrate an exciting milestone. We ate Chinese food, and pavlova for dessert. Dad and Uncle Rob played the guitar and sang. The children ran around and played. And we sang Happy Birthday to one of our favourite people. It was great to be there. As the party concluded I changed into my bike gear to begin the 100+ km ride to Gosford. Three hours and 26 minutes later I arrived at Daley’s Point. The ride was long, steep, and hard. I was exhausted and don’t recall ever pushing myself with such an endurance event before. 102 kms at an average of 29.6 km/h. Sleep was pleasant Saturday night.
Sunday we awoke to find Chanel and Kylie sick with a tummy bug. And it was a nasty one too. I took Abbie and Annie to church. That was a little arduous too. Annie was tired. Sacrament was peaceful and I appreciated those quiet moments. I saw several of my old friends, then went back to mum and dad’s. Kylie was no better. We packed the car. A long drive back to Wollongong. Another packed week over, and another one about to begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment