Our family has just experienced an unusually dull week. I’m not complaining. In fact, just the opposite. I’m quite grateful to have little or nothing happen for a change. Despite that, there are still a few highlights, and many things to be grateful for.
Annie Grace has decided that nappies are not for her anymore. She doesn’t want to wear them. That’s terrific because nappies add a large amount to our budget and we’d prefer to not have to buy them – plus they’re bad for the environment. The difficulty with Annie’s preference for no nappies is that she refuses to sit on the potty. This means we are finding unwanted deposits throughout the house, either via unpleasant odours, or worse, with our socks (which are always reliable when ‘puddles’ are lying around). We’re working on the potty training and hopefully some progress will occur in the coming days.
Kylie has signed up for a quilting class and is counting down the days until she attends. In fact, Kylie seems more excited about her craft than anything I’ve seen for some time. I’m working from home on Tuesday so that Kylie can quilt for the day. I’m looking forward to seeing the outcomes, not that I’m excited about the quilting, but I am excited for Kylie to pursue something that she loves.
Chanel sat a test to get into an ‘advanced’ class for kids during the week. She was apprehensive and more than a little nervous prior to the class. A blessing and some supportive words from Kylie and I seemed to do the trick. Chanel had a generally positive experience although we are unaware of the outcomes for another couple of weeks. We are quite opposed to these types of tests and classes in principle. Public education should be of the same standard for all students, not just the ones who do best on these tests. However, the playing field is not level and we know that when teachers “believe” they have a bright student or class they actually teach better/differently. We want Chanel to have that opportunity, hence we are hopeful that she’ll do well.
Ella has had a fun week, including a 5km bike ride with Kylie. We are amazed that she rode so far, but thrilled that she loves it so much. Of all our children, Ella seems to be the most outdoor-oriented. Because Ella is so easily distracted I have had her in trouble several times this week. In exasperation, Ella explained to me that she doesn’t do as I ask because “I love playing Dad.” If we can harness and direct her love for animals and playing and being outdoors, I think Ella can be a wonderful success in life. I fear that the regular school environment may do just the opposite though. We have our work cut out for us.
Our new piano arrived this week! This is probably the biggest highlight of all. I LOVE having a piano in the house. I think we scored a bargain. This is a beautiful little Yamaha upright piano with a lovely touch and wonderful tone. I am not much of a player, but I cannot begin to describe the joy I’ve had as I sit at the keys and pick out notes while trying to read the music. We’re looking forward to Abbie beginning her lessons and are hopeful that her teacher will help her find delight in it as well.
I began my riding programme this week with a coach directing me. It’s not really in our budget, but I love it and he made me an offer that was too good to refuse. I’m being coached at a greatly reduced rate. Riding has become almost like a drug for me. If I miss riding for a day I become agitated and unhappy. If I miss a race on Saturday I become a big sook. I’m not sure if that’s healthy or not, but it’s fair to say that I’m pretty well obsessed with riding. This week just gone I rode a little over 300kms.
Saturday I went to the temple with the youth. We were told it would be around 90 minutes but the day stretched out for several hours. It was a privilege to be there and participate, and I’m grateful. However it meant that I missed my bike race. I struggled with that. Eventually I arrived home and took the bike out to Mt Keira. It’s a fairly serious hill near our home. After three hard climbs, one from the bottom, and two slightly shorter climbs, I was satisfied that I had worked hard and returned home.
We made offers on two houses this week. The first was on an extremely large home that we were going to go halves with someone in. However our offer was speculative at best and was never really destined to come to anything. While the home was big, it was not nice, nor did it suit our family. We are pleased it came to nought. Our other offer is presently under consideration. The home we are looking at is only a kilometre from here and, while small, is a delightful little four bedroom home that we think would be just the right fit for our family. By Tuesday we should know if our offer will be accepted.
Abbie enjoyed a birthday party with her best friend Carley. While she was gone our family consumed what I am confident will be our last ever meal of KFC. It was gross enough for us to all agree, including the children, that we don’t want to eat that anymore. Ewww.
Sunday – church. Repentance and refreshing, renewed covenants, hymns of praise, gratitude, and love. Time with the youth reviewing 1 Timothy 4:12 – Be thou an example of the believers. Then a terrific afternoon in walking along the ocean foreshore with the family. While I miss riding on Sundays I’m grateful for such focused time with everyone. We finished the night with two other families eating a pot luck dinner around our kitchen table. The meal was terrific, but the lemon meringue pie at the end was the perfect way to finish… although I ate too much again (what’s new?)
It’s 3.30am Monday and I’m restless. Sleep has been avoiding me in recent nights. I think I need a new bed. As I reflect on the week I cannot help but be grateful for a blessed and abundant life. In spite of all my imperfections, brokenness, and humanness, my family and I have blessings unmeasured and joy almost on tap. We thank God daily for his grace and rejoice in what He gives us.
No comments:
Post a Comment