Pages

Monday, 11 January 2010

Family Reunion

I realised that in my last update of the past few months I failed to highlight one of the most exciting things that we’ve experienced in our family ever. I spent the best part of 2009 working part time on organising a visit to Australia by one of my favourite LDS singers/performers: Kenneth Cope. In early November he arrived! We had him stay at our house between performances, and spent lots of time with him. For his final two performances we packed out the Macarthur Stake Centre with about 500 people and 800 people. He did such an amazing job, and his performances were inspiring in every way. While there were loads of things I wish we’d done differently, I was so happy to be able to arrange his visit and see it come to fruition. The feedback from the many members who attended was terrific, and I hope to arrange another visit from another artist in the coming year or two.

Now onto more current news… The past week has seen me torn between priorities. Kylie’s parents arrived on Monday to spend the week with us. Her two sisters also came with their husbands and children. This meant a wonderful time with family, along with an extra 6 adults and 4 children in the house. One of Kylie’s sisters stayed with her husband and son at a friend’s house which lessened the bedding requirements, however we were pleased to be able to see them spending time at our home consistently through the week as well.

Monday was, quite simply, a recovery day. Chanel began her week earlier than most. She now swims at 6am each Monday, so that meant an early start to the day. Shortly after we got home from swimming the extended family arrivals commenced. We did very little other than reacquaint ourselves, swim in the pool, eat good food, and rest during the remainder of the day. Kylie’s tortillas were manna from heaven at meal time.

Tuesday I set a new personal best time riding up Macquarie Pass. I rode it in 28 minutes, 30 seconds. It hurt. But it felt great. I took more than one minute off my previous best time. Kylie took her sisters and mum to Berry for some “girls” time. Chanel went for the ride too and felt very grown up.

Wednesday was the best day of the week! Ella Rose turned 6 and we arranged a party at the beach. We were there early enough to secure a picnic shelter. Mum and Dad brought Jaxson, Paris, Phoenix, and Logan down (as well as a giant ham that we’ll be eating for the next two months!), and Tim and Kesh joined us as well. We ate good food, swam in the ocean, played in the sand, and had a wonderful morning with family and friends. Ella was at her best, delighted by the thoughtful gifts she received, and thrilled by the kind attention showered on her. We finally dragged ourselves away from the beach two hours later than we’d planned, sandy, sun-kissed, and sleepy.

Thursday I had to return to work. Too many things have been piling up and deadlines are getting closer. This means I had to leave the family to enjoy their activities without me. I was disappointed, and struggled for motivation, but got a good start on the long list of things to complete. Kylie and the rest of the troops caught the train to Kiama. It was a big adventure for the kids, and despite some tired toddlers, they all seemed to thoroughly enjoy being in such a wonderful place. That evening we enjoyed long conversations together. It felt good.

Friday I convinced Kylie’s sister Adele, and her husband Ystyn, to stay for a few more days (without needing to try to hard). They had planned on returning to Brisbane Friday night. But sights needed to be seen on the weekend and they were happy to stay a little longer. I worked at uni again, the children played, and everyone else relaxed as much as possible. Friday night track racing was on, and Chanel and I gave it our very best! I love riding my bike. The extended family thought velodrome racing was brilliant.

Saturday saw us ditching all plans for sightseeing. Instead we stayed home, swam in the pool, ate, and relaxed. Kylie’s parents commenced their 14 hour drive home around lunch time. Chanel went with them to spend a week holidaying with friends and family in sunny QLD. We already miss our baby girl so much!

Sunday was quiet too. Church in the morning was a personal highlight for me. The sacrament brought a peace that was refreshing and renewing. Everyone left church after the first hour except Abbie and I. Lots of tired children do not a happy Sunday School make! We enjoyed being together all afternoon before a superb BBQ dinner and a drive to the beach. We walked and played for a couple of hours before we returned home at 9pm, exhausted, but deeply satisfied.

No comments: