For the first time in ages we’ve had a fairly uneventful week. Still busy, and still containing memorable highlights, but just a little less eventful than we’re used to.
My week primarily consisted of waking up at 4.30 each morning because of that frustrating little bird. A friend has suggested that I buy some aluminium pie trays and hang them in the tree. The wind will hopefully create enough movement and noise to drive the bird away without waking me up! Since climbing the tree, shaking the branches, looking for a nest that doesn’t exist, and throwing things hasn’t worked, I’ll try the pie tray idea this week.
I’ve enjoyed some time on the bike for the first time in weeks. My legs have appreciated the workout, but I’ve experienced my first ever ‘saddle sore’. I sense I may be back off the bike for some time again. Trying to ride home on Friday was so painful I couldn’t sit down at all... I rode the 10kms standing up!
The bulk of my week has been spent either praying that my Ph. D. will turn around or marking papers. Neither has been a pleasant experience. A meeting with my supervisors confirmed to me that neither of them have a deep understanding of my studies. However they are far more optimistic than I have been about my progress. The concerns I have held may be well-founded, but given that I’m doing a Ph. D. and not attempting to have an academic career built upon my work they are of the opinion that it will be good enough. I’d like it to be better than that, but perhaps good enough will be ‘good enough’. Either way, I’m beginning to feel a little better about things. Early in the week I was thinking I may end up working for my dad as a furniture removalist. Success with my Ph. D. is my first preference and persistence seems to be the key.
Tuesday afternoon Ella had her first guitar lesson. She appears unwilling to listen as much as I’d like her to. Nonetheless she did quite well and is enthusiastic. I’m pretty excited too. I’m learning a new instrument via Ella’s lessons. She needs me to teach her when not with her teacher so I gain quite a bit of benefit as well.
Thursday Chanel left for her first big school excursion. Her grade went to Canberra for an overnight trip. Chanel visited parliament house, the science centre, the war memorial, old parliament house, film and sound archive, and plenty of other places. We are amazed at how big she is growing, and in particular at the increasing independence she demonstrates.
Saturday Chanel and Abbie had their respective birthday parties. Chanel celebrated her 11th birthday at the botanical gardens. She had a ‘high-tea’ in the Rose Garden rotunda for four of her friends and their mums. It was a ‘mummy-daughter’ party. I watched the other children play in the playground for the two hours. It was a HOT morning, and the kids had a terrific time.
Abbie had a ‘paint’ party during the afternoon. We were inside which was a blessing because it stormed all afternoon. The children painted placemats, played Pictionary, and played games. The highlight was the cake. A friend created a chocolate cake covered in white fondant icing. The children each had a paintbrush that they used to paint the cake with edible paints for the icing. It was a beautiful touch to make the party memorable.
We were especially grateful to my little brother, Tim, and his wife Kesh. They came to both parties and helped Kylie with the running of the parties. Tim took around 500 photos and made a terrific slideshow of the great moments the morning offered.
Today was stake conference in Campbelltown. After I work up at 4.30am and again at 5.30am to frighten the bird out of the tree I finally rose properly at 8.30am. I’m not sure how it happened but I feel much better for the sleep. Poor Kylie is still exhausted though as she got up and kept the children quiet so I could sleep. I owe her a big sleep in, but unfortunately I am still unable to mind Lilli for her. Sleep-ins will come eventually.
We thought we’d left late for conference but arrived right on time. The conference was possibly one of the best I’ve ever attended. A young man about to serve a mission talked of what he’d been taught by his parents. It was a good reminder for me to stay focused in teaching my children. The Stake Relief Society President spoke of preparing flowers for presentation. They each need individual, careful attention if we’re to see the best they can be. She likened this to those we care for, especially our families. Her talk was meaningful. The mission president shared uplifting thoughts about how we can share the Gospel with others. It reminded me of how grateful I am to the missionaries that taught my parents, and also of my gratitude for the many people (including missionaries) who influenced me as I made decisions about my spiritual future.
A member of the temple presidency spoke of the trials of a group of Papua New Guineans who wanted to get to the temple. After refusing to bribe corrupt officials, unimaginable physical challenges (including 6-day canoe journeys each way from their village to the city), and nearly a year of waiting, they finally received passports and were able to receive temple blessings. Many will be unable to ever return, but they felt blessed to visit the temple. It makes our 90-minute drive to the temple seem an insignificant sacrifice comparatively. I committed to attend the temple more regularly.
This afternoon we watched a movie about kindness. It told the story of two boys who were going to steal a worker’s shoes but instead chose to place money in the shoes. They then watched his reaction. We felt inspired as we saw how kindness can make a difference. Our family home evening expanded on this video. We did a scripture search on kindness and selected Ephesians 4:32 as our theme for this principle. “And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God, for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.”
The children are now sitting with Kylie making thank you cards to give to those who gave them birthday gifts. We feel blessed as we consider out lives and the week that has been. And we feel fortunate as we prepare to eat our roast lamb and veges... Yum.
No comments:
Post a Comment