
This week was looking like it would be terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad. Monday through Friday we went through the motions and did what was required to survive, but it didn’t feel particularly good – at all. We have weeks like that now and then.
Kylie’s mum arrived on Wednesday and the children were delighted to have her visiting with us. Her dad arrived Friday, and the children were even more excited to have two grandparents here. But overall Kylie, the children, and I had a largely forgettable week... until...
Friday things began to turn around for me. I finally finished marking and teaching! I still have a few major pieces to mark, but they’re typically enjoyable, as well as unique. I like marking the good stuff. But I’ve just finished all of my marking for the undergraduates. That makes me feel a little better. I’ve had some discomfort this week so stayed off the bike. But Chanel was enthusiastic about being at the velodrome on Friday night so I took her there for a couple of races. Timmy and Kesh came along with Trooper (their dog) and Tim took some photos.


Saturday was a chance for our family to experience some high-grade joy. And I think for the most part we did. Our morning was relaxing. After lunch we went to the Wollongong Chapel and Abbie May Coulson was baptised. It was a really beautiful day. Abbie had her best friend, Elissa, there. She also had some friends from school and our neighbourhood come along. Chad, Carly, and the Milross family, none of them members of the Church, all came along to celebrate with Abbie. And then there was the family! Not only were Nan & Pop Jones along from QLD, but Nanna Coulson came down from Gosford with Leah. Poor nan has been in the wars this week with cancers being removed from her face. We were grateful to her for making the long trip. My parents were obviously there too, as were Tim and Kesh, Mat, Karina, and Phoenix, Logan, Jet, and Teanu.I was delighted that Mat took his most important day off work to be part of Abbie's important day. And of course there were members of the ward along for the afternoon too.

Abbie looked beautiful. She was full of joy all day long. But when it came to the baptism she was simply radiating it. The service was simpler and shorter than Chanel’s. Abbie and Elissa began by singing ‘When I am baptised’. Chanel gave a talk, sharing her memories of her baptism. Katrina Stewart (Abbie’s primary president) spoke about being like Jesus. Then I baptised Abbie. It felt a little odd, standing in white in the water with Abbie while so many people watched us. A baptism is such a simple thing. I said a brief prayer and immersed her in the water. It was over in ten or fifteen seconds – the blink of an eye really. Of course it was wonderful to have everyone there, but in some ways it felt funny to have spectators at such a simple and sacred moment.

When Abbie emerged from the change-room she looked beautiful. The moment I saw her I smiled and told her “You look brand new Abbie.” Abbie was glowing.
Kylie gave a beautiful talk to her about how the Holy Ghost can bless her life. Her two grandmother’s testified of truth. I stood in a circle of priesthood holders and gave Abbie her Church membership and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The simplicity of the ordinances and the service understate the enormous significance of the occasion. Abbie has anticipated her baptism for ages, and all week has been clamouring for the weekend to finally arrive so she could be baptised. It was special to see her make these promises.
Sunday sacrament was excellent. I cuddled Annie and listened to two uplifting talks (and one that was a little harder to get through). Then I taught Gospel Doctrine. We discussed the stakes of Zion (Isaiah 54) and, what they provide us with, and how we can strengthen them. Some insightful comments were shared. Then we spoke of heaven’s economy (Isaiah 55). I borrowed briefly from a friend (WG) and talked about capitalism versus the celestial fiduciary principles of charity and compassion. We concluded our talk about market forces in the eternities with “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Fitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment