Finding time to write has been increasingly challenging over the past few weeks. It has been close to six weeks since I wrote an update.
Just over a month ago (June 20th) I completed the first draft of my Ph. D. dissertation. We packed up the family and drove to a farm near Beaudesert in QLD. Our five days north of the border went way too fast. Kylie shared a very special birthday gift with her Dad for his 60th (along the same lines as the treasure hunt we did for my mum). It was simply superb. The children loved being with their QLD cousins and their Nan and Pop. And the farm was lovely too.
On our final day in QLD I felt myself getting sick, and by the time we were back home in Figtree I was only good for being in bed. I generally did nothing but sleep and rest for a week, enjoying substantial amounts of Kylie’s vegetable soup to fix me up. That was about the only benefit to an otherwise cold, dreary, and uncomfortable week.
My supervisors eventually responded to my requests to review my thesis and I spent several days making minor changes according to their suggestions. Then I reprinted the entire document and went through it word by word. My corrections were substantial and also led me to wonder what my supervisors had been doing when they read over the document. It seemed they had missed a lot!
In the past week I have finalised my changes to the Ph. D. thesis. It isn’t finished. I doubt that it ever will be. But I doubt that I’ll do any further work on it now. I’m awaiting my supervisor’s return from overseas and then I’ll be submitting it for marking. It will be a nervous two or three months’ wait. It feels nice to not have to think about the Ph. D. for a few months.
This week I began a brand new part-time job at the university, doing research work on a project aimed at increasing the wellbeing of high school students. I’m looking forward to earning some money, even if it’s only 22 hours a week.
The past week has seen a few changes in our family, and noteworthy experiences. When we ask her to do something, Annie Grace has begun to yell “NEVER” at the top of her lungs. She is not inclined to help out around the house... but we can’t help but laugh when she does it. Complete cuteness.
Lilli Emma has begun walking around the house with her hands behind her back. It looks as though she’s being the stern school principal! Very funny. Lilli was weaned late last week. After a couple of very tough nights, Lilli has adjusted well and the change has allowed Kylie a little more flexibility again.
I’m entirely sleep-deprived. I’ve spent the past four or five nights watching the Tour de France until 3am and it’s absolutely caught up with me. However, history has been made and an Australian, Cadel Evans, will be the ultimate winner of the race for the first time in history. It's strange. I find the Tour thrilling, captivating, and entirely absorbing. But in my fatigued state as I reflect on my hours of watching and cheering for Cadel I have to admit that watching it for hours on end is not particularly satisfying in the same way that going out and living my life is. In fact as excited as I am that the Tour has been as good as it has been, and that we've got an Aussie winner, I'm glad it's over so my life focus can be realigned.
In spite of my sleep-deprived state, Kylie left me with the five children all day yesterday (Saturday) so she could attend a wonderful Time Out For Women conference in Sydney. She had a superb day. And my day was pretty good too. The kids and I walked in the rain, watched a movie together, cleaned up, and even mowed the grass. It was a nice day for us all.
We’re finding that Lilli and Annie are growing up beautifully. While all of the children are doing well, the two little ones seem the most content and happy. Perhaps we’re starting to get it right as we get more practice at all of this.
In the past few months Kylie and I have been making a much greater effort to serve in the temple. About two weeks ago Kylie asked me a question. “Have you noticed anything different since we started to attend the temple more frequently?” My first thought was “we’re happier”, but instead of answering I suggested Kylie tell me what differences she had noticed.
Without the slightest hesitation Kylie answered, “We’re noticeably happier.”
Things are going well here. We’re feeling blessed beyond deserving and loving our lives and the changes we’re experiencing.
No comments:
Post a Comment