The past week has been relatively uneventful. I would once
have been slightly annoyed by a week where little happened. Nowadays I’m grateful
for the reduced requirements. It has meant I have been able to focus more on
the myriad things I have already got to do.
Monday and Tuesday I was at home with the children and
Kylie. Half the family was unwell and I did what I could to help out. Kylie and
I spent a lot of time tending to children, and the remainder of the time was
spent cleaning up. We have placed various household items on our kerb for a
council garbage pickup, and feel de-cluttered. I argued that if we haven’t used
it in the two years we’ve lived in the house, we don’t need it. My argument was
not accepted in full, but we have gotten rid of some things that are long
overdue.
Tuesday afternoon our entire family visited the doctor. He
provided remedies for the children and then turned his attention to me. I was
truthful in answering his questions and he was concerned about me. I assured
him I was simply tired from too much work, too much bike riding, and not enough
sleep. He ordered tests.
Wednesday was my day off work. I had a ride and then
continued to help Kylie at home with the various tasks she has to do. I am
astounded at the incessant additions to the laundry pile, the never-ending
cooking, cleaning, tidying, ironing, mending, and cleaning that Kylie is
burdened with. I am grateful for her work.
Thursday I returned to work and put the finishing touches on
a journal article that we hope to submit for publication in the next week. The
doctor rang my with my test results. He told me that they were clear, so I must
just be tired from too much work, too much bike riding, and not enough sleep. I
laughed with him and was grateful for the confirmation. He reminded me that at
my age, I need to start being careful of these ‘signs’. It made me feel old.
Friday I arose at 3.30am as I do most Fridays and rode my
bike for 100kms. As much as I dislike the early start, I think this is my
favourite activity of the week. I set a couple of personal bests, and arrived
at work shortly after 7am feeling energised and excited for the day.
Unfortunately sitting in my office reduced that energy. I had a lengthy
consultation with a trusted Professor at work about the direction my life might
go. I got little satisfaction from my discussions with him. I appreciate the
work I have, but substance addiction and abuse is not the place I want to
utilise my skills, and my contract finishes in July. I want to run my own
business, but I wonder how to make it work, and what I should do! I am making
slow progress.
Friday night Kylie and I went on a date for dinner. I talked
about my worries and my solutions. Kylie listened carefully to me. She made me
feel worthy of her time. I love being with her – especially without
interruptions! I listened to Kylie’s suggestions. Kylie has great wisdom. She
also has faith in me. How I got to be so lucky I really don’t know, but I thank
God for her every day. We had a wonderful night. The food was not particularly
good, but the helpings were substantial and I made up for my ride-induced caloric
deficit that had left me famished for most of the day.
Saturday was physically exhausting. We arose early and took
Chanel to the chapel for a youth activity in Sydney. Then we set to work on the
two cars. I washed the Prado. Then I went to work with the clay bar, going over
every surface to remove any and every spot on the car. Four hours later I had
finally put a coat of wax on it. Kylie had done the interior. It looks like
new. Immaculate! Dad used to call that car ‘Princess’, but it’s gone well
beyond that now. This car is being looked after in a way it has never been
before. We love it! We did the same thing with the Starlet too. It looks like
it’s a brand new car. But after washing, clay barring and waxing the two cars I
was hammered. It took the best part of six hours of non-stop physical work.
Then we emptied the garage. The goal was two-fold: first, get rid of everything
we don’t need, and second, get the Prado in the garage. It took another eight
hours, but by 9pm the Prado was in, and the garage was pristine, with plenty of
stuff gone, and lots more re-organised. It was massive.
Church today was less satisfying than I would have hoped.
This may have been related to my exhaustion. But the speakers didn’t reach me –
and nor did the Spirit. I skipped Sunday School to prepare my lesson for
priesthood, so received no uplift there. Then in priesthood I struggled with a particularly
challenging brother who gets under my skin and that of nearly everyone in the
room. The lesson was far less inspiring than I had hoped it would be. Several
of the men came to me after church and indicated that they would rather not
attend if he was there. It’s hardly conducive to good relations and spiritual
feasting. I am making it a matter of prayer – albeit without the faith I
probably should show.
I cooked pancakes for lunch, as is our Sunday tradition.
Then the family (except for Kylie) had a rest. All of the children slept
briefly. I slept for four hours! Guess I was tired? I still feel that way so I’m
hoping for an early night. I have one chapter to go in the biography of Thomas
S. Monson. It’s an inspiring book. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Somehow, I don’t
think I’ll finish it tonight though.
1 comment:
awesome that you got the prado in the garage.
and you are approaching 40, big bro, haha. take it easy.
Post a Comment