This update was commenced three weeks ago. Time got away and
I’m only just finishing it now. So it starts with our Sunday night, June 3rd
and continues through until now.
I remember last week’s roast dinner and peach crumble all
too well. Sunday night (June 3rd) after I went to bed feeling that
the world couldn’t be a better place – well, things began to turn sour. I awoke
shortly after 1am and was as violently ill as I can remember being. I spent the
entire first day of the week entombed in my bedroom, fasting and trying to
recover from the bug that made me feel so bad.
Tuesday I forced myself to go to work, a particularly noble
feat given my lack of enthusiasm for what I’m doing. I was miserable and should
have stayed home.
Wednesday was the highlight of my week. I had two business
meetings in Sydney. My first meeting led to a tentative proposal for me to add
value to a business that specialises in happiness. They focus on individual and
organisational happiness, but not on family happiness and wellbeing. I thought
they might be interested in how I could make a difference. The meeting was
positive, and now it’s time to see if we can agree on the finer points of an
arrangement that will hopefully be good for both of us. I also met with someone
who is highly successful at taking training programs to major organisations.
After 30 minutes with me I realised just how much work is involved, got a great
deal of direction, and began to question if that
specific strategy is what I really want to be involved in. The money is
substantial, but the business itself is less appealing to me.
Wednesday night after I returned from Sydney Kylie showed me
how she had spent her day. Hours of careful attention with needle and thread
have led to the creation of beautiful dolls, cushions, and bedroom accessories
for the girls’ rooms. Kylie is slowly making our house into a personalised
haven for our children. (And I’m starting to feel pressure to paint the place!)
Thursday I tried out my body by going for an early ride. My
body was unhappy with me. I came home early and decided to have a little more
rest before I get too active. Monday’s illness hit me harder than I thought. I
spent another day at work dreaming of the parenting business I’m about to be
running. My enthusiasm for the latter and my apathy toward the latter is a gulf
too wide to describe. My heart and mind have already left the office despite
the fact that my contract doesn’t end until late July.
Friday was quiet, with a family walk on the beach in the
afternoon the clear highlight. The weekend was uneventful and less inspiring
than I would have hoped.
The fortnight since that time has been a blur. Another
couple of days off work due to “illness”... I think I’m sick of work! Some
positives have included that I’ve done a handful of media interviews about
various things parenting-related. I’ve ridden my bike a little more than I
should have. And I’ve become increasingly frustrated with the time I spend at
work that competes with my growing desire to be in business for myself. It’s a
recurrent theme.
I’m now writing a LOT for various people who print magazines
and blogs, both online and offline. It’s great for raising my profile but not
so great when it comes to raising capital. I write for free. But I’m mixing
with good company and I’m consistently making small but certain progress.
As for the family, we are thrilled with Chanel and her
school performance. Chanel turns 13 in October – nearly a teenager. Her
half-yearly report was full of plaudits from teachers, and a stream of A’s.
We’ve let Chanel know that our expectations have increased for her school work
now that she’s in high school and her response has been excellent. We’re
delighted with how well she is going. She is making good choices in her
studies. Her social choices are also improving, in spite of some challenging
situations. Chanel has a mature head and we are proud of her.
Abbie is as delightful as ever. I don’t think we ever have a
problem with Abbie. Abbie turns 10 the same day Chanel turns 13. She is the
easiest child I’ve ever known. While she has a stubborn streak, it rarely
surfaces. She is a willing helper, conscientious student, and simply a
treasure.
Ella and Abbie share their room, and they share a love of
reading. Their heads are always in books. But that’s about all they share. Ella
is a literal typhoon. We always know Ella’s around because of her energy. She
is either screaming her head off or laughing her head off. We live in a world
of extremes around Miss Ella. Ella is known to disappear to any one of a
handful of friends’ homes as soon as chores are divvied out. We spend a lot of
time calling out “Ella” and wondering where she’s gone. Oh, and Ella has an
appetite as big as mine. It’s amazing to watch this 8 year-old eat more food
than anyone else at the table. We see unparalleled enthusiasm and energy in
that girl.
Annie is potentially the happiest child we know. She loves
to laugh and play. This afternoon Annie, who is five in August, went into the
toy room for two hours on her own and played. She sang made-up nonsense songs
to herself, played with toys and dolls, and amused herself the entire time and
was as happy as can be. This morning I rang Nanna Bunt and let her listen in as
I did “Round and round the garden” and “This little piggy” on Annie’s hands and
feet. It was ten minutes of rapturous giggling from Annie as she finished my
sentences and I feigned annoyance and told her that ‘now I have to start all
over again.’
Lilli is a couple of months past two. She hates wearing
clothes. It’s the middle of winter but all she wants to do is undress. She is
entirely potty trained so long as she’s naked, but with clothes or a nappy the
potty may as well not exist. Lilli lives in a relatively quiet world. She’s
picking up words, but quite slowly. She is beautifully soft and loves cuddles.
In fact, I’ve determined that there really is no cuddle as good as a cuddle
from little kids. I love cuddles from Annie and Lilli more than any cuddles
from anyone. There’s something so pure and perfect about cuddles from little
children that is different to any other cuddle. So I’m getting as many as I can
before they get too big.
Kylie continues to amaze me. Her workload is substantial
with her Church calling, five children, the house, and ME! To keep this place
clean, stay on top of the washing, serve so many people who are needy, and
still be supportive of me is a ridiculous workload. When I try it for a night
or two I struggle. I don’t know how Kylie does it day in and day out.
So that’s about it for now. Today we had a beautiful start
to the day. Church was ok until priesthood, and then it was exceptional. We
discussed a great talk about mercy by President Uchtdorf. Super lesson. This
afternoon we had a house full of missionaries, investigators, and friends. We
ate Kylie’s treats (melting moments and chocolate caramel slice). Our home
teachers visited, and then we ate roast chicken and vegetables. So while I’m
not quite where I want to be, we’re getting closer, slowly. And I still have
plenty to be grateful for.
1 comment:
We enjoy your updates!
Post a Comment