Some amazing events in the past week have blessed our lives.
Undoubtedly the best day last week was Friday. It all started at university...
We were conducting a seminar class on clinical addiction when a student made the claim that lapse and relapse in addiction were due to motivational issues and nothing more. An addict who relapses isn't committed according to this student. A vociferous debate raged and I made the comment that I have an addiction - to the TV. It may seem innocuous enough, but I feel it's causing dysfunction in my life and am powerless to stop it despite my significant motivation and commitment to doing better.
Next thing the teacher pulled me out to the front of the class and did a Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) session on me. And it proved that the student had been inaccurate in her assessment. However, the great news was it provided me with answers! I have two new strategies for overcoming my night time TV addiction. Firstly, I set the timer on the TV to switch off at the appropriate time. Secondly, I place the remote on the far side of the room so when the TV finishes I cannot turn it back on, or flick channels to see what I'm missing.
It worked a treat on Friday! I saw the Newcastle Knights win in the Rugby League, the TV said "Goodnight" and I went to bed on time! Terrific!
The second wonderful thing that happened on Friday was in relation to a planning tool. Now that I'm running training sessions in Frontline Management (Cert IV) I have to carry a diary. Two methods I've worked on this year have not been suitable so I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Franklin Planner. But it was $160, which is a LOT of money for a diary. The thing is, things weren't working with what I had, and I know it's worked well for me previously so I had to give it a go.
Their office is only 1km away from our home so I told them I'd pick it up rather than wait a week for it to arrive in the post. When Kylie went to get it they weren't ready for her, so they gave her someone else's order. It was the same one, but with the fancy binder. I'd ordered the cheapest one, but they told Kylie they were upgrading me for free because they weren't ready for us! I got the $240 planner for $160! And I LOVE IT! I've been more organised in the last 3 days than in the last 3 weeks. It really works for me.
Finally, when I arrived home on Friday night there was an unopened envelope for me from the university. When I opened it and began to read I literally jumped off the couch with delight. I won a scholarship for the year! It's only a small one, based on financial circumstances, but wow - will it make a difference for our family! So wonderful.
We've also been blessed in other ways too.
It looks like I'll be teaching at radio school again this year, and may even get more work than previous years. That will help immeasurably as we save for a car.
And my new job is working out wonderfully, so I hope to leave the QLD govt. job at TAFE in less than four weeks. Still just waiting on a little bit extra to filter through in terms of my trainees.
I taught in church on Sunday. My topic was one that I was really excited about, "The Faith to Move Mountains." It didn't go too well, and I learned a valuable lesson. I had lots of things I wanted to teach, and I taught them. But I'm not sure that what I taught was what Heaven wanted me to share. And I failed to ask. The lesson was devoid of the inspiration that I had hoped would be there because I tried to do it on my own. From now on, when I teach or speak, I will remember to ask what the people need most to hear, not what I want most to say.
Tonight we had a really nice family home evening. Kylie and I felt as though our family needs some more structure/ rules or something like that. But we couldn't put our finger on it. I suggested to Kylie that setting up rules was helpful, however, there may be a better idea to try. We taught the children about principles, and worked as a family to identify three principles to focus on for the week.
1. Kindness. This means it's important to be nice, not yell or get cross, and love one another.
2. Respect. We listen to others. We also look after our things, and our home.
3. Service. We help each other.
Chanel and Abbie worked really well with us and determined what each principle meant. They really like the idea of living by principles rather than rules. It feels good to me too.
OK - the latest on the kids and Kylie...
Kylie: Still feeling really tired. This pregnancy hasn't been treating us nearly as well as previous ones. It's been a real challenge. But Kylie is working as hard as she can, and I'm so grateful for her.
Chanel: This is one high achieving, talented girl. I'm not one to boast, so I'll be as understated as possible. Chanel is swimming so well. Her level of progress is stunning. She also played her first netball game on Saturday. Her teacher couldn't believe how good she was, and said she's a "demon" on the netball court. Excelling, as always, at school, and so gorgeous. We're so grateful for that beautiful little girl.
Abbie: Probably the happiest child you'll ever meet. In the middle of anything at all Abbie calls out, "I love you mum" or "I love you dad". She's so sweet. Her smile and soft heart melt everyone who is near her. Abbie walks around the house singing and quoting poetry all day.
Ella: Finally starting to speak, but still not keen on sleeping. Ella makes my day when she says, "Wud you dad". She has a sparkle in her eye, and oodles of energy, and she tries us to our very end and beyond. But she's growing up fast too.
Our lives are still a long way from the ideals we're striving for, but we have so much to be grateful for. Blessings continue to pour over us, the windows of heaven are open, and we live wonderful lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment