Pages

Sunday, 15 April 2007

Change is Good

It seems that irrespective of efforts to slow down, life keeps speeding faster and faster. All we can do is savour every minute, and keep a track of the important instances so we can reflect on them when they would otherwise be forgotten.

A couple of weeks ago I walked out of my 4th year statistics class feeling like I'd just sat through a Japanese lesson. I didn't understand very much at all. As the workload intensifies, and the complexity of the work increases I have been increasingly concerned that I need more time to focus on school. I called Kylie as soon as I left the lecture theatre, and after a brief discussion we agreed that I would quit my job at TAFE.

I resigned immediately, and this upcoming week will be my final week there. This places us in an interesting situation financially, but my new part-time job looks like it is picking up steam and we're hopeful that by the end of the month it will be close to replacing the TAFE income, but with less than half the number of hours required. We simply have to fast and pray that it all works out. And I have to say, the decision to leave TAFE feels terrific. I am so glad to be leaving the government. The conditions and so on are excellent, but I have had enough of the job and it's really time for change.

Last weekend was a really special one for us. In addition to it being Easter, Kylie and I packed the children into the car and drove the 1000 kilometres (620 miles for my American friends) to Gosford to be with mum and dad for the weekend. While we were there two really special things occurred that it was a pleasure to be there for. Firstly, my sister's former husband, Mat, was rebaptised after many years out of the church. He has worked extremely hard to be back at church, and it was great to see. His children were particularly excited to see their dad baptised. Being there was a privilege.

On Easter Sunday my sister's newest arrival, Teanu, was blessed and I was also able to participate in that. It was a real treat to have both of those ordinances on the same weekend. Plus we got to see my grandparents, nan and pop Bunt, in Sydney.

It was a quick trip for me. I flew home on Monday morning, early. Kylie and the kids stayed a few more days so that they could play with all of their cousins. I utilised the peace and quiet to get working on uni assignments. I'm pleased to say I'm now as good as finished every assignment (except one) for the entire semester, and we're just going into week 7 (of 14) tomorrow. I'm thrilled about that, because it allows me to focus on study/revision for exams from a very early point, plus I can devote hours more per week to my thesis, which I am yet to start.

This week I hand in all of those assignments and begin my thesis work in earnest. I also finish at TAFE, and write a workshop on dealing with conflict at work for a group in NSW that have requested my services. Plus I have some new sessions to write for radio school - they're having me back this year to run the usual sessions plus a few more. We are being greatly blessed.

The Family Update
Kylie is going much better now that the pregnancy is well established. We're already beyond the half-way point: 21 weeks on Wednesday. The time is disappearing. Kylie is hooked on the "The Work and The Glory" series by Gerald Lund. In the past couple of months she's read 6 books, and is now on number 7. I cannot wait until book 9 is closed and I can have my wife back! Kylie is amazing, such a support, and a dream to me. I'm grateful for her.

The girls are keeping us on our toes. I recently blogged about how we're focussing less on rules with them and more on principles. Kindness, Respect and Service are the core principles we're teaching and practicing. For the most part it's going really well. They're responding, with regular lapses, quite well. We're enjoying a harmonious home.

Ella is improving with her language, albeit slowly. But we're certainly seeing gains, and that is quietly reassuring. Abbie continues to provide the humour in our home, and Chanel is getting so big it's scaring me!

Things are moving forward, we're grateful for what we have, and we continue to find more to be grateful for. It's now mid-April. In 4 more months we have our 4th baby; in 6 more months I hand in my thesis, and 4 weeks after that I graduate. And then things will change again.

No comments: