Pages

Sunday, 29 April 2007

Things to Remember

When I was in high school I had a discussion with my History teacher about all of the reasons I didn't want to make an effort in her class. Mrs. Gilbert knew I had the potential to excel in her class and described her feelings. My response was disappointing to her then, and it disappoints me now. I told her I lived by the adage, "Let bygones be bygones", which meant history didn't matter and I shouldn't have to worry about her class.

As I reflect on the week that has been I am grateful for growth, and repentance. If bygones were all forgotten I would have no claim on the amazing memories of the past week.

Wednesday was ANZAC Day. As I get older I have an increasingly deepening appreciation for the incredible men and women who have given so much to provide the freedoms and abundance that we take for granted in Australia too much. Kylie and I left home around 6.30am that morning and went to the grave of her grandfather. He fought in WWII. No one in his family knows anything about what he experienced. He took those memories with him to his grave, but he was one of many who fought, suffered and was willing to die for us. Chanel is the only one of our children old enough to remember Grandad Jones, and she shed tears as she held our hands and talked about him. We sang a hymn, I Know That My Redeemer Lives. It was touching, to sing and testify of His life and resurrection. We said a prayer. We were touched by the Spirit, and felt united.

As we drove from the cemetery we felt peaceful. By 8am we were walking into a community ANZAC service, and again we remembered. It was terrific to see so many other people who also felt a debt of gratitude to those who served, sufficient to motivate them to attend a service on their public holiday.

Other tremendous memories for the week:

I sat a fourth year statistics exam and passed (I think). It felt good to get through it, especially given the limited study I put into it.

I attended a board meeting for the Australian Family Association - QLD branch. I was invited to speak at their upcoming conference in October! I'll be speaking for approximately an hour, on parenting! I'm thrilled. This offers credibility that is huge, it allows me to build my business, and I can associate with other like-minded community members who are involved in strengthening families in Australia.

Each morning and evening we say our family prayers. Abbie has begun to consistently pray for Kylie and the baby she's carrying. Her words are so cute. "Please bless mummy's baby, that it will have a good day."

Yesterday afternoon we took the kids to Newfarm Park. It's a terrific park, which they love. Chanel wanted to ride her scooter so I walked behind her while she scooted off. It's amazing to see her grow. At one point she wanted to race so I ran ahead as she chased me. For about 100 metres I watched over my shoulder as the cutest little 7 year-old grinned and laughed while she tried to catch up to her dad. As I ran I considered the importance of remembering that moment. She was entirely consumed in the moment, feeling joy, and giving me a memory that will hopefully never be a bygone moment that I let go of. My baby is growing up too fast.

Two exciting things happened with work this week. I showed up to spend some time with one of my Frontline Management trainees. He's really struggling to fit his study in with his busy schedule. We spent an hour discussing solutions to his many challenges. I left without giving him any new assignments or receiving any work from him. It means that I basically gave him my time for free. I only get paid when they complete work. Despite that, I felt fantastic. It didn't matter that I did it for free. He was feeling better, he had solutions, and we are on track to helping him get his work done. I really enjoy helping people. Service seems to bless me more than others. I actually feel like it could be selfish to serve because I get so much out of it!

Finally, on Friday I was flown to south-west NSW to run some workshops for a company whose employees are stressed. I prepared a 90 minute session and ran it twice for two different groups. While I questioned my ability to help, and even present a decent session, they were so happy with it that I've been invited to return and do more work with them. The sessions went really well. We discussed how muscle depletion is actually similar to depletion of self-control reserves. As we're confronted with stressful situations, our ability to deal effectively with them diminishes over time unless we take time out to replenish our store. This led to a discussion of stress and the inverse relationship it shares with control. Finally we discussed strategies to deal with stress, and how to communicate effectively through stressful situations.

Yesterday we went and had some family portraits taken. The kids looked beautiful, as did Kylie. When the photos come back I'll post them on line.

As I get older I realise more and more the foolishness of my attitudes when I was young. And I appreciate Mrs. Gilbert for patiently allowing me to have my opinions. Now I wish I could tell her what I've learnt. Much of the greatest happiness in life comes from cherished memories, and gratitude for what has occurred in the past.

No comments: