Pages

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Not-so-happy Campers


The past several weeks have been full of adventures. On the work front there is little to report and nothing of import. I’m grateful for a job that is providing the necessities of life for our family. It’s only just enough, but the fact is, it is enough. The job feels just that though – a job. It’s filling a need, but I look forward to the day I rely on it less, or not at all. My vision of where I want to be is strengthening, and I sense unseen hands pushing me towards it... and it's not at the University.


My book is with the publisher now. We are awaiting the text editor’s touches, and then it will be in book format. Then it’s one more “fine” edit and we send it to the printer. I am really excited about it and am starting to feel quite pleased with the book, its contents, and the publishing process. Only another handful of weeks now.

In the final week of March I went on a big bike ride. I was invited to participate in the ‘charity’ ride by my church leaders. The ride was called the ‘Pollie Pedal’, named for the politicians who participate. Our current opposition leader, Tony Abbott, is the chief rider and completes the entire thing. This year the course was about 1000kms from Geelong up through Melbourne, across Gippsland, over the Snowy Mountains into Cooma, and then on to Canberra. The ride took place over 8 days (shortest day 90kms, longest day 160kms) and had around 60 riders participating. Because of the Church’s sponsorship of the event we were allowed some riders, and I was one of three chosen to represent the Church. We camped in caravan parks each night, rode lots, and ate lots. I missed my family, but it was a good week.

During those eight days I also learned that I don’t sleep well in tents. That wasn’t enough to stop our family going on a three night camp over the Easter weekend, just gone. I know that camping is supposed to make us feel at one with the environment. I understand that we’re supposed to relax and feel at peace with nature. Unfortunately my camping experience this past weekend was not so positive. The wind howled for three days. Have you ever tried to sleep in a tent that feels like it’s going to be blown into the next state? It was cold. And Lilli expressed a deep commitment to reduce the amount of sleep she normally has. Lilli’s preference for sleep has typically been around 11 hours each night. However this past weekend she seemed to fear that her development might be slowed unless she eliminated sleep from her daily routine. She averaged about six hours per night while we were gone.

The lack of sleep combined with the unwelcoming elements made my weekend a challenge. I wanted to enjoy nature and my family. I wanted to experience carefree living. Instead I pined for the brick walls and mattress of my home. I missed my stove, running water, and other comforts I’ve become spoiled by. Kylie accused me of being a big wuss. She suggested I needed to toughen up. I suspect Kylie is more resilient than me. Kylie is a tremendous camper. So much so that we are booked in to do it again in six weeks. I fear that we are going to keep doing this until I get it right and start enjoying it.

In fairness, and with gratitude, I should point out that there were some highlights. I loved flying a kite with the kids. It has been more than 20 years since I’ve flown a kite. The simplest thing, but so exhilarating. As I was watching the kite dance above me I lost all sense of time and became entirely absorbed in the magic. The way the kite hung in the air with the perfect blue sky behind it was mesmerising. I thought about the way the kite resembled being a parent of my babies. I am constantly being required to let out more string so the kids can fly higher and higher, taking on more wind, sailing upwards, and experiencing ever increasing views. As they do so, they move further and further from my presence. And yet the string that connects them to me, regardless of how long it is, remains necessary for their continued safety. Without the string the kite would crash to the ground. Even though the children are getting older, they still need to be connected to me... ok, so it’s an analogy that still needs some work, but that was what I was thinking, and I enjoyed the experience.
Other memorable moments included sitting around the campfire with several other families and singing Primary songs from Church for over 30 minutes. Big kids, little kids, and parents all enjoyed the singing and the feeling. On Easter Monday we spent some time playing totem tennis. While we did lots of things together, that was easy, fun, and good quality time.

In other family news Chanel is about to cost us over $5000. She needs braces on her teeth. We have commenced saving. Last week we had parent-teacher interviews at Chanel’s high school. Our eldest daughter is doing an amazing job. Her teachers love her. They would sit up straight, animated, and share with us the enthusiasm they have for Chanel being in their class. She is doing wonders at High school. Abbie, Ella, and Annie have asked me to recommence their music lessons. I am pleased to be able to start teaching them again. But they want to learn guitar rather than piano. I am far more confident in teaching them piano. I’ll take what I can get here though. Autonomous motivation is far more powerful than any of my coercive attempts to get them to play.

And Kylie has rediscovered her love of craft. The house and our meals suffer, but I love seeing Kylie enthusiastic about her artwork. It is uplifting to see her producing beautiful gifts. Everything Kylie makes she gives away. I appreciate her generous heart. We celebrated 14 years of marriage a few weeks back – just before the Pollie Pedal. Actually, the celebration is yet to occur. We’ve had too much on. Hopefully we’ll find the time to celebrate it before the end of this month.

I should quickly mention, too, that we went to Church with Tim and Kesh at Nowra on Sunday (it was closer to where we were camping than our Wollongong chapel). It was really great to be at Church with my little brother. He’s in love with his congregation, and they love him. Which is just how it should be.

1 comment:

tim coulson said...

wish we could have had you guys for dinner!