For the first time in a very long time, I have little to say about the week. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all pretty standard. I worked, gave some lectures (one each day), and did little else. Rather dull really.
Thursday I decided to do something a little adventurous. My website (happyfamilies) is looking really ordinary. Once upon a time I quite liked it, but it has become more disappointing over time and is in terrible need of an update, particularly if I want it to be a useful sales tool as I try to develop my business. I have no money to cover the costs of a website. A flash of inspiration reminded me of a lesson I learned many years ago. I had just accepted a job in Rockhampton when I got a call from Canberra. A job was available for me there. When the man who had called me found out that I'd just said 'yes' to a job in Rockhampton and learned about the job, he knew I'd be unlikely to go to Canberra. But he still asked me. He decided it was my decision to make, not his.
I decided to apply the same principle with my website. Recently Timmy (my little brother) has written to a clothing company and asked for maternity clothing for his wife with a promise that he'd blog about it and photograph her each week in return. They've received boxes of clothing. We have been amazed by it - and I got a little inspired. I wrote to a fellow I've met once through a mutual friend. He is a web designer. And explained my situation. Then I asked him if he would be willing to do some work on my site for free. I said a silent prayer, pressed send, and waited. Within 30 minutes he had replied and indicated a willingness to help. At no cost. Wow! He's not making big promises, nor is he completely overhauling the site. But he's willing to make it better than it is. I felt deeply blessed.
Thursday I also got a call from an educational organisation looking for someone to run parenting workshops in their 30-ish primary and high schools in our area. They've asked for a proposal, and indicated that they've heard good things about me. Again, feeling remarkably blessed. The proposal is written, and now I'm working towards winning some work. Momentum is building for my slowly developing business. I have three months left to turn it into an income-producing asset. Lots to do.
Thursday night Kylie had a night out at church (enrichment). The highlight of the night was a song called "the highlight of the month", and I've posted the video for it in the post below.
Kylie has decided that at the end of the year she wants to ride from Sydney - Wollongong. It's around 85kms and is a reasonably challenging course. In order to do that, I've told her she needs to start preparing now. So early Saturday morning we snuck out of the house while it was still dark and I took her for a ride. It was raining, cold, and dark. Kylie was unperturbed. Kylie has not really ridden a road bike before. We rode 46kms around Lake Illawarra in almost exactly 2 hours. Kylie was exceptional. Her legs were red as her muscles cried out for more oxygen. And Kylie even rode up the steep and nasty hills around our house to get home at the end of the ride. It was great. We'll be spending many more Saturday mornings building Kylie's capacity.
Sunday was a quiet day. Church in the morning was nice. I've subscribed to a publication I've just learned about called the 'Religious Educator'. It's the most inspiring content I've read in ages. I am hooked. So when my meetings became less interesting I turned to the journal and began reading. Inspiring. Lunch meant pancakes. That was followed by a very quiet afternoon with the kids and Kylie doing craft and me tidying up a little, and reading some more. And then two roast chickens for dinner. Unbeatable.
It felt like a week where nothing happened. But on reflection there were a few things that I can be deeply grateful for. And there is still so much going on.
No comments:
Post a Comment