Pages

Sunday, 27 May 2012

Camping, and more media


I have few highlights to mention this week, but the highlights we’ve enjoyed have been wonderful. First, my book is now being sent to the printer. Dr John Irvine got his recommendation in to me just before it was too late to be included:

“I just love the way this book is written – very practical, very focused on parent issues and at the same time very humble; Justin is not saying “pedants hear the word” but rather here are some ideas that seem to work, what do you think? It’s practical, easy to read, well referenced and covers so many of the day to day topics that parents agonize about. It’s also well presented in case studies, summary points, quotes … and everything to make this book an eminently readable and sensible addition to the parental reference library.”

I’m grateful that these people, who are so busy, sought after, and respected, are willing to lend their names and their support to my work. It feels terrific to know that my words are going to be printed and made available for everyone to own and read.

I had considerable media attention this past week. Once again, the nationwide high-stakes standardised testing regime has commenced for children in years 3, 5, 7, and 9. I wrote a piece about how it is affecting our children and how the negatives of the testing outweigh any benefits that it is claimed to give. The article was published online at The Punch. Then ABC radio Sydney got hold of it and rang me. Then I was on ABC radio Brisbane. I got printed in the Daily Telegraph, and the local Wollongong paper. I was filmed for the local news, and also ended up on national television with The Project and the TODAY show.

I finished work early Thursday (with some hours I held in lieu) and we took the family camping to Glenworth Valley, on the Central Coast. It was a quiet, wide open space. The weather was perfect. Our preparation was better than it has been previously. We had a delightful time, and some learning experiences: first, don’t camp near trees. The dew drops onto the tent are a form of torture. One every three seconds will keep you awake all night. Second, children will swim in water no matter how cold it is. Third, it is not possible to pack enough clothing for children to stay clean while camping. Finally, no bedding alternative comes close to the comfort of my bed.

For Christmas last year Alisa and Adam kindly gave our family some cash instead of gifts. Kylie and I decided that we would use that money for camping trips. So with that money, Kylie and Chanel went on a two-hour trail ride on the horses. We also paid for a ‘lead pony’ (which was a slightly older, more tired horse) for Abbie, Ella, and Annie to ride. Kylie led them around the fields for an hour and they loved it.
The woman leading the trail ride that Kylie and Chanel were on was taken with Chanel’s delightful personality, and her enthusiasm for horses (which was previously unknown). Chanel was invited to ‘volunteer’ as a worker. So Saturday morning Chanel went to the office at 7.30am, brushed and saddled horses, fed them, rode them, shoveled poop, threw hay off the back of a moving vehicle, and generally worked hard. Abbie and Ella were terribly disappointed that volunteers must be 12 years or older. I collected Chanel at 5.30pm for the long drive back to Wollongong. Chanel was bubbling with delight. (And she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.)

Sunday we felt good to be wake up clean and in our own beds. Church was quiet. I need to be more purposeful. The roast chicken and potatoes we had for dinner made me grateful for the blessed and abundant lives we lead.

No comments: