This has been a week of decisions.
Monday I had a meeting with our head of school (Psychology).
I entered the office confident. A position (in fact, several positions) had
become available and I suspected I might be given a short-term contract offer
in relation to that role. Instead he informed me that the direction of the
school was inconsistent with what I offer, and there are no short, medium, or
long-term opportunities at the school for me. I walked out feeling quite low. I
gave a lecture almost immediately after that meeting and felt better. I love
lecturing and teaching.
My hours in the office are becoming a greater chore. I am
finding less to be content with at the University. I suspect my head of school’s
conversation with me may have accelerated my discontent.
Wednesday is my day off work, and I spent the day marking
student assignments and making decisions that may affect the remainder of my
life. I will be off contract at uni in 8 weeks. At that time I’ll be putting
all of my effort into building my business. My attempts to do so this year have
been flaky. But now I have the right ingredients to make it happen. My book is
due out in 12 weeks. I no longer have the security and steadiness of the uni
position. And I have a burning desire to do something that is meaningful and
enjoyable in my life. I felt enthusiasm and momentum by the end of Wednesday.
It was promptly quashed when I returned to work Thursday.
My lunchtime bike ride was my day’s highlight. I beat my
previous record ascending a nearby mountain by over 30 seconds. I feel good
when I ride my bike hard.
Friday I left work and drove to Sydney for a dinner I had
been invited to as a wrap up for the charity bike ride (Pollie Pedal) I went on
some months ago. It was held in a breathtaking home privately owned by one of
the ride sponsors. It was on Sydney Harbour and was stunning in every way. The
evening was delightful, with great food, and lots of catching up with new
friends.
I spent some time talking with Tony Abbott, the man who
hopes to become Australia’s next Prime Minister. We’d spoken briefly before. I
was surprised he remembered my name. He was extremely warm. I asked him why he
holds a policy position on an issue I feel he has wrong. His response surprised
me. He completely agreed with me. Then he clearly pointed out that in the ‘real’
world, we can’t have what we want, and so his policy is aimed at getting us as
close to the ideal as we can given that the ‘right’ outcomes are unachievable.
Saturday I tried to recover from a post-midnight arrival. I
don’t do well without sleep. Kylie celebrated the birthdays of two friends
while I stayed home for an early night. Then Sunday we enjoyed Church, some
time with friends during the afternoon, and more roast chicken and vegetables.
I savoured the peppermint choc chip ice-cream we had for dessert and felt
blessed for the ongoing goodness in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment