
Academic life has several aspects that thrill me. And then there are those few things that drain my will to live. Administration is one. Marking is the other. I spent the best part of two days marking this week. But I am still alive – just.
Tuesday I met with the members of the Bid Committee for the World Congress of Families. We were successful in our bid to bring the Congress to Sydney in 2013. I was something of a late starter with the team, but they have welcomed me enthusiastically. On Tuesday we set about establishing our plan to make the Congress a success. This included creating the National Family Council of Australia. I believe we are going to do some good through this new organisation as we bring the Congress to Sydney.
Wednesday was the highlight of my week. I received feedback from the Journal of Positive Psychology. This journal is the scholarly reference point that is my ultimate publishing dream. The journal is the peak publication for those in my field. I sent an article to them four months ago. This week they replied with a response that, while not overly positive, was far better than anything I could have hoped for. My article was reviewed. The editor and the two reviewers described my work as ‘admirable’ and made several kind statements regarding the value of what I had submitted. They invited me to make some amendments to my work, based on specific suggestions, and asked me to resubmit my reviewed manuscript. This is a thrill. No outright rejection, but instead a genuine desire to publish my work if I can satisfy them on a several minor points and one major point. I am confident I can do it. With heavenly guidance I’m even more confident. I feel like I am ‘on purpose’ with the amazing, miraculous blessings I’ve received in the past few weeks.
We received word that Chanel has been accepted into the Wollongong High School of Performing Arts. This is a school we have heard terrific things about... but Chanel wanted to go to ‘Figgy’ High – or Figtree High School. We shared the news of her acceptance with Chanel and assured her that the school she ultimately attends was her decision. Then we talked about education, values, using our talents, the attitudes of teachers, and the psychology of learning. We invited Chanel to pray about it. Chanel responded that though she wanted to go to Figtree she felt peace in her heart when she thought about going to Wollongong. The next morning she confirmed that her prayers made her feel right about Wollongong. We warned her of opposition from school friends. It came. Chanel was called ‘dog’ by several ‘friends’. Our warning comforted her, as did some other friends who assured her she was doing the right thing. We were saddened by her friends, but so proud of Chanel.
I taught a parenting workshop Thursday night. Normally I’m excited but this time I felt flat. The parents seemed to struggle with the content, and found some of my guidance to be confusing. And we ran overtime – never good. I slept poorly and spent Friday nursing a migraine that had me feeling sick all day. Nonetheless I completed a large amount of administrative work and gave myself an early mark around 4pm.
Saturday was the other highlight of the week. I left home just after 6.45am on my bike. My prayer, as I rode, was that my family and I would have a wonderful day together. I reflected on how hard that might be if I were on my bike. After only a few hundred metres I returned home. While I love to ride, I love my family more. We organised ourselves and drove to Gerringong to spend the best part of the day with Tim and Kesh. Benson (our new dog) came too. We walked around spectacular headlands, rode bikes, and ate fish and chips as a family. We wished we could have stayed all day. But Lilli needed sleep, the chapel needed cleaning, and Kylie had a talk to prepare for Sunday.
Saturday night I spent over an hour reading my favourite children’s books to Chanel, Abbie, Ella, and Annie. We read together, I wept as the precious stories touched my heart. The children went to bed feeling as wonderful as they are.
Sunday Kylie spoke in sacrament. Her talk was about charity in the home. I am amazed at this incredible woman. How I convinced her to marry me is one of the wonders of the world. Kylie’s talk was breathtaking. I completed some administrative tasks following sacrament, and then returned home with Kylie so Lilli could sleep and Kylie could return to church. I don’t like missing church. The day feels empty.
We sorted photographs for a brief period during the afternoon, much to Kylie’s chagrin. We’re simply slotting them into albums. There is none of the creativity and love that Kylie wants to put in. There are simply too many years of photos to catch up on. We made good progress.
I am relishing my time with family, but am itching to be in the office. My work is progressing well, but still too slowly... I love what I’m doing there and want to see it through to a speedy completion.
Sunday night is almost over. We are tired. I suppose five children and several substantial responsibilities will do that. But we are blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment