Thursday morning I was awoken at 5am by my phone ringing beside me. I wish I could say that I answered the phone with a happy voice, but that would be untrue. I growled into the receiver, “Who is this?” My tone was unwelcoming. I quickly changed my attitude when I heard a voice on the other end of the phone introduce herself as one of the producers of the TODAY show. She wanted me in the studios and on air in under two hours. Given that I had to drive a good 90 minutes that was a tall order. I changed, splashed my face, brushed my teeth, and got things moving.
By 6.45 I was in the Channel Nine studios in hair and makeup. At 7.03am I was on air with the host of the show talking about the problems with standardised testing and how it impacts on our children. Four minutes later I was driving south to Wollongong again. I should add that TODAY programmers were very happy with my presentation. They indicated that they hope to continue to use me for relevant topics, particularly to do with parenting.
My phone rang at around 10am with another request. A different TV show, again nationally broadcast, wanted my opinions on air that night. We arranged for the cameraman to meet me, planned the satellite link up, and Thursday night I was on the 7PM project talking with the hosts about the same issues as I had that morning, though this time with a slightly lighter approach. The feedback from 7PM project people AND from friends and family who saw it (many quite unexpectedly) was terrific.
Thursday night I completed a parenting workshop with about 25 attendees. It felt terrific to remind parents of the simple things they can do to have strong and positive relationships with their children. I arrived home at 10pm after a 17 hour day. Exhausted.
Friday was another huge office day. I completed the second chapter of my thesis. I’m feeling confident that the first draft of my entire thesis will be complete in the next few weeks. The light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to encompass me. It feels good – but there’s still a significant amount of work to be done. I’m itching to get back to the office tomorrow and complete it. My motivation levels have never been so high.
Saturday morning arrived too soon. At 5am I went, with several men from church, to Hill 60. It’s a beautiful lookout on a headland near home. We talked about faith and our feelings about church and God for an hour or so. It was uplifting. The sun rose to reveal a near cloudless sky, a still and calm ocean, and a perfect morning. We visited someone who needed help and cleared away mess, unwanted tree branches and thorn bushes, and tried to do some good for her. As amazing as the week was for me in many ways - from productivity at work to national television opportunities - I felt more fulfilled and useful helping that lady with her yard and trees than I did doing anything else.
The remainder of Saturday was a blur of a baptismal service at church, a naming ceremony for a friend of Kylie’s, cleaning the chapel, and then... the highlight... eating a sensational lamb roast.
Today Kylie spoke beautifully in sacrament meeting about charity. I taught the High Priests about the double-meaning of a ‘standard’ and the blessings of inspired leaders. We continue to feel blessed beyond deserving... and tired beyond words. I anxiously await the attention my pillow promises!
No comments:
Post a Comment